National Security Space System Software Developer / Analyst
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a National Security Space Scientific Software Developer within the Analysis & Applications Group (SAA) of the Space Exploration Sector.
Job Summary: The successful applicant will create and use software and simulation tools to contribute to national security space projects. Tasking is diverse and may cover an array of software-heavy modeling and analysis projects for several domains, including mission planning, opportunity analysis, and data visualization. Applicants must be SCI eligible.
1. Develop software applications for space-based systems for mission planning, data processing, data fusion, and visualization.
2. Participate on teams of 2 to 10 developers for all aspects of the software development process: determining requirements, designing and developing code, testing, deployment, and documentation. (85%)
3. Analyze results, prepare and give presentations.
4. Some travel may be involved for meeting attendance. (15%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- MS in Physics, Astronomy, Mathematics, Computer Science, Aerospace Engineering, Computational Sciences or a BS/BA with 2 years of professional experience developing software.
- Top Secret clearance, eligible for SCI
- Skilled with at least one programming language, preferably an object oriented one.
- Strong interest in contributing to national security efforts.
- Ability to learn quickly.
- PhD in Physics, Astronomy, Mathematics, Computer Science, Aerospace Engineering, Computational Sciences or a BS/BA with professional experience developing software.
- Experience with High Performance Computing
- Experience with modeling, data analysis, and visualization.
- Experience writing software in a professional team environment with industry standard development tools (IDEs, version control)
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
Special Working Conditions: None
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top