National Security Analyst
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a National Security Analyst.
The National Security Analysis Department develops, leads, and conducts objective, responsive, high-quality studies and analyses of significant issues to support both decision makers and APL’s sponsor-facing sectors and departments on issues related to national security, space, and healthcare. NSAD efforts include:
- Defining emerging challenges
- Characterizing the future strategy and fiscal environments and their operational contexts
- Identifying capabilities and requirements for future systems and forces
- Assessing the impact and implications of new technology, operational concepts, and integrated systems for national security, space, and healthcare policies
- Determining more efficient uses of resources through analyses of affordability and process improvement
Our analyses are supported by APL’s real-world science and engineering expertise and use a collaborative, multidisciplinary approach that informs and assists decision-makers in the areas of policy, planning, and acquisition.
We seek scientists and engineers to support our efforts.
1. Serve as an important contributing team member or as team lead on projects. Demonstrate analytical competence.
2. Develop sound analytic frameworks and associated analytic methodologies/ techniques for addressing both structured and unstructured problems. Consistently produce high quality analysis.
3. Develop and maintain broad, general institutional knowledge of primary sponsors; their culture, organization, and issues.
4. Maintain strong sponsor relationships through high quality work, increasing the visibility of our work, and other related activities such as Statement of Work/White Paper preparation.
5. Interact with sponsors under the supervision of an experienced colleague, and with sponsor POCs independently.
6. Make significant contributions to research publications and analytic products for individual projects.
7. Communicate results of work in a clear and concise fashion. Effectively communicate one-on-one and in groups. Document work efficiently and accurately. Effectively present work to colleagues, sponsors, and small audiences that are familiar with content.
8. Work with minimal or no guidance on focused, well-structured pieces of projects. Work under closer supervision on more complex, less-structured tasks. Serve as task lead for pieces of projects by managing own activities. May lead small projects under the supervision of a project manager or technical lead.
9. Exhibit a positive attitude in interactions with colleagues and sponsors. Provide clear guidance to colleagues on tasks. Take responsibility for own actions and outcomes.
10. Perform other duties as assigned.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- PhD in physical science, engineering, math, or a related technical field from a highly reputable program or equivalent years of relevant professional experience.
- Ability to make significant contributions to projects and analyses.
- Strong analytic curiosity and creativity.
- Ability to operate independently in the execution of assignments.
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Knowledge of research techniques.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to interact positively and somewhat independently with clients.
- Eligibility to obtain a Top Secret clearance is strongly desired.
Security: Eligibility for Secret level security clearance required. Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top