Multi-Rotor Software/Hardware Development Engineer
- Laurel, MD
Does the development and testing of an interplanetary multi-rotor copter sound fun to you?
Do you have experience developing, assembling, and flying multi-rotor aerial vehicles?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
Weare seeking a Multi-Rotor Software/Hardware Development Engineer to help us develop,implement and test flight system algorithms and controls, for a multi-rotorspacecraft called Dragonfly to fly on Titan, moon of Saturn. The Johns HopkinsApplied Physics Laboratory (JHUAPL) Space Exploration Sector developsspacecraft for both National Security applications and NASA funded explorationmissions. Our group is a collaborative team of professionals including softwaredevelopers and embedded system engineers that develop the flight software for JHUAPL-developedspacecraft. This position would be responsible for integrating, operating, andflight testing multi rotor vehicles used as a mobile testbed for the DragonflyNASA mission.
Multi-RotorSoftware/Hardware Development Engineer...
- Your primary responsibility will be integration, assembly and operation (flight testing) of multi-rotor test platforms to support the development and validation of Guidance, Navigation and Control algorithms.
- You will act as a safety pilot for flight testing of multi-rotor test vehicles and either currently have or be willing to attain FAA Section 107 Drone Certification.
- You will work to integrate various hardware including autopilots, ESCs, motors, sensors, computing hardware and radios onto test vehicles.
- You will implement embedded software to support flight algorithm development.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a Bachelor's Degree in Aerospace, Electrical or Computer Engineering, or other related field.
- Have 1 years of experience engineering multi-rotor UAV systems including field test experience.
- Have experience with embedded software development in C.
- Have strong UAV multi-rotor piloting skills (manual flight control) and either have or ability to attain FAA Section 107 Drone Certification.
- Strong interpersonal skills, initiative, and independent follow-through.
- Are able to obtain Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Are familiar with customization an modification of commercial autopilot software such as Ardupilot, or PX4 firmware.
- Are Familiar with flight software libraries, applications, and frameworks including NASA's cFE (Core Flight Executive)
- Have experience using Matlab's Embedded Code Generation.
- Have worked with spacecraft control systems, navigation algorithms or image processing.
- Have experience developing multi-rotor UAV flight controls.
- Are familiar with interfacing to spacecraft sensors and actuators such as Inertial Measurement Units (IMU), cameras, flash LIDARs, and RADAR sensors.
- Are experienced in the development of Terrain Relative Navigation Algorithms.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top