Model-Based Systems Engineer
- Laurel, MD
Are you a "systemsthinker" with model-based systems engineering (MBSE) experience that wantsto have impact on nationally important defense programs?
Do you love working with a diverse group ofdedicated technical specialists in a collaborative teaming environment?
If so, we're looking for someone like you tojoin our team at APL.
We are seeking a systems engineer proficient inMBSE for the Future Systems Engineering Section in the Air Missile DefenseSector. We provide vital systems engineering and concept development expertiseto important strategic deterrence capabilities for the Navy. As a member of ourteam, you will provide advanced MBSE expertise in developing system models,model profiles, architecture frameworks, and systems engineering processes forseveral critical strategic weapons systems development programs. We arepassionate about making critical contributions to these critically importantprograms, and you will be a key part of our success. With your help, we willremain at the forefront of systems engineering for the Air and Missile Defense.
As a Systems Engineer...
Your primaryresponsibility will be to provide systems engineering and MBSE thoughtleadership and expertise to the development and evaluation of complex strategicdeterrent systems and supporting infrastructure.
- You will work with anadvanced team to develop and implement system models to support development andintegration of new strategic deterrent systems as well as modernization andsustainment of existing systems.
- You will apply yoursystems engineering expertise on requirements analysis, concept/technologydevelopment, architecture analysis, risk assessments and test & evaluationfor strategic deterrent systems.
- You will deliverformal presentations to sponsors and supporting contractors, and effectivelycommunicate proposed concepts/solutions and analysis results.
- You will develop modelprofiles, tool plug-ins, architecture frameworks, and model queries in the MBSEtools that capture and analyze models of the systems being developed throughoutthe lifecycle from concept definition through fielding and support.
- You will help definemodel-based design review requirements and update the systems engineeringprocess to utilize advanced MBSE techniques.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a Bachelor's degree in engineering,mathematics, physics or related technical field.
- Have 5 years of experience performing systemsengineering in the design, development or evaluation of complex weapon systems.
- Have 1 year of specific experience in systemmodeling using UML/SysML and associated modeling software.
- Have broad systems engineering experienceincluding early concept development, requirements analysis, design, test andevaluation, and risk assessment.
- Have especially strong verbal and writtencommunication skills, as well as strong critical thinking skills.
- Have shown the ability to interact effectivelywith and lead diverse, multidisciplinary teams, including industry andgovernment sponsors.
- Are willing and able to travel periodically,including short duration visits to sponsor offices at the Washington Navy Yardand to supporting contractor sites, as well as occasional travel to othermilitary bases across the country.
- Areable to obtain Interim Secret level security clearanceby your start date and can ultimately obtain Top Secret level clearance. If selected, youwill be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meetthe requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirementsinclude U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have an advanced degree in systemsengineering.
- Have experience in systems engineering formissile systems.
- Have relevant OMG or other systems engineeringcertifications
- Have worked with modeling frameworks such asthe Department of Defense Architecture Framework or Unified ArchitectureFramework.
- Have direct experience applying aspects ofMBSE in support of system development.
- Hold an active Top Secretsecurity clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top