Missile NG&C Engineer
- Laurel, MD
Do you have a passion for Navigation, Guidance & Control (NG&C)?
Are you interested in working on cutting edge missile systems that are critical to the survivability of the United States?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
We are seeking a Missile NG&C Engineer with a proficient background across the full Navigation, Guidance & Control (NG&C) spectrum, with a particular focus on Navigation, to become a thought leader in the design and evaluation of hypersonic and ballistic missile systems. These weapon systems come with an enormous NG&C challenge: They fly VERY fast, with short time-constant nonlinear dynamics, through an atmosphere with many disturbances, in GPS contested environments. We as a nation need to rise to this challenge, and we need you to do it!
As a Missile NG&C Engineer you will...
- Conduct Navigation system design and analysis for next-generation missile systems, including algorithm & system trade studies, performance prediction, covariance analysis, and 6 Degree of Freedom (DOF) modeling
- Conduct Guidance & Control system design and analysis for next-generation missile systems
- Assess the performance of existing missile NG&C subsystems; develop, implement and assess potential improvements to these algorithms
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to a team of NG&C missile engineers
- Provide inputs and thought leadership to help determine long-term strategy for NG&C related activities in support of multiple programs and sponsors
- Document & present technical results to peers, supervisors and external sponsors
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Hold a Master's degree in Aerospace, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or other related technical field with 5 years of relevant experience (or equivalently, a PhD in relevant technical field)
- Have experience in one or more of the following: Inertial Navigation, State Estimation (Kalman Filters, Unscented Kalman Filters, etc.), GPS error modeling, or Flight Dynamics
- Previous demonstrated technical leadership
- Have a passion to work on NG&C Flight systems
- Have a strong sense of curiosity to understand why and how a system works, and initiative to follow up on that curiosity
- Have a demonstrated proficiency in Matlab. Have a willingness to learn Simulink & C
- Are able to function as part of a team and have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Are able to support occasional travel for meetings and working at various locations within APL. Also can include travel to contractor facilities.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a final Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have a Master's degree in relevant field and 10 years of related experience (or equivalently, a PhD in relevant field and 5 years of related experience)
- Have experience in one or more of the following areas: Nonlinear Estimation, Testing or modeling of Inertial Navigation Hardware (Accelerometers, Gyros, GPS, etc.), Feedback Control, Optimal Control, Guidance, Trajectory Design & Optimization, real time flight systems, or software/hardware-in-the-loop development
- Have a demonstrated proficiency in Simulink or C
- Currently hold an active Secret level security clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top