Do you find analyzing and understanding complex dynamic systems exciting and challenging?
Are you passionate about engineering robust and resilient military platforms capable of operating in the face of determined cyber adversaries?
If so, this is the perfect opportunity for you.
As a Military Systems Cybersecurity Engineer, you will...
Provide engineering and operational expertise towards studying, designing, developing, implementing, and testing for robust and resilient capabilities and solutions applied to air, afloat, land, space, and subsurface military and/or tactical platforms and systems. Emphasis is on providing systems engineering expertise to yield effective cybersecurity solutions for Combat and Weapons Systems; command, control, communications, computers, and intelligence (C4I); hull, mechanical, and electrical (HM&E); and related mission and/or tactical systems, by employing technology, people, training, and processes to achieve the most robust and resilient systems against nation-state adversaries.
- Analyze and evolve the architecture, design, constraints, and requirements of fielded military and tactical systems to enhance system resilience to cyber attack in the presence of an adverse cyber environment.
- Work on technical teams in the definition and design of robust and resilient solutions for the acquisitions, operations and sustainment of military and tactical systems in the presence of adverse cyber environments.
- Contribute to strategy and early concept demonstration and development for new solutions considering cyber concerns and constraints while respecting and operating within the context of other system constraints.
You meet the minimum qualifications for this position if you have:
- A bachelor's degree in computer science; mathematics; physics; computer, electrical, or mechanical engineering, or related fields.
- 1 or more years of experience designing, developing and maintaining military and/or tactical systems with complex computational and processing dependencies.
- Demonstrated ability to design solutions that inhibit or mitigate operational impact from threats given constraints of operations, performance or organization.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to work in diverse teams as a leader and/or a contributor.
- Proven demonstration as a critical thinker, developing solutions to complex problems.
- Ability to occasionally travel (up to 10%) and work as required in classified areas.
- An active Secret clearance and the ability to obtain a Top Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You will go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have:
- A masters of science or Ph.D. degree in computer science; computer, electrical, or mechanical engineering; or related fields.
- 5 or more years' experience with military systems architecture, design, and cybersecurity solutions.
- Detailed technical understanding and/or operational/maintenance experience with combat systems, weapons and stores systems; command, control, communications, computers, and intelligence (C4I); avionics; hull, mechanical, and electrical (HM&E); and/or other related military operational technology, including embedded systems and supporting platform network and computing environments.
- Demonstrated knowledge of cyber issues surrounding real-time operating systems, software-intensive systems, unmanned systems, military standard bus specifications, and operational mission/domain-specific applications.
- Experience with full life cycle systems engineering processes and/or applied research.
- Experience in the design and use of engineering models and tools. Working knowledge of information operations and cyber techniques, modeling/simulation, and evaluation of cyber architectures.
- Demonstrated team leadership or project management skills.
- Proven demonstration as a critical thinker, developing strategy and solutions toward solving complex problems.
- An active Top Secret clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.