Microsoft Windows Server Engineer
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC, is seeking a Microsoft Windows Server Engineer.
Job Summary: Manage ITSD’s physical and virtual Windows server infrastructure, and ensure the high performance of their hosted enterprise applications.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
- Perform Windows Server administration duties that include Active Directory (AD), DFS, DNS, IIS, GPO, Hyper-V and VMware ESXi responsibilities. Troubleshoot and resolve OS performance and business applications issues to ensure Service Level Agreements are met. (50%)
- Analyze and implement hardware and software technologies and enterprise tools to more effectively manage the Windows server infrastructure. (25%)
- As part of an on-call rotation, maintain system security and integrity by applying monthly Microsoft OS and 3rd party vendor security patches using Shavlik Protect and PDQ Deploy. (10%)
- Work with customers across the Department and Laboratory to support approved projects and initiatives. (10%)
- Develop and maintain documentation for ITSD managed systems. (5%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.Required Qualifications:
- B.S. or equivalent years of professional IT related professional work experience.
- 2 years of Windows server administration experience in a multi-domain environment preferably with Server 2008, 2008 R2, 2012 and 2012 R2.
- Proven ability to develop scripts using PowerShell.
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting and problem resolution skills. Demonstrated ability to identify problems and clearly articulate options for problem resolution.
- Excellent verbal and written skills, with the ability to interface with all levels of staff.
- Demonstrated ability to function in a team environment as a technical contributor.
- Self-starter with high level of initiative and dedication.
- MS in Computer Information Systems or a related field.
- 1 years’ Hypervisor experience with Hyper-V and/or VMware ESXi.
- Dell server hardware or COMPTIA A certification.
- Dell Open Manage Essentials experience.
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) certification.
Special Working Conditions:
Occasional Saturday morning hours required about once every six weeks.
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top