Introduction: The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Mechanical Engineer.
Job Summary: Perform conceptual design, platform integration and mechanical analyses for phased array radar, EW and communications antennas, and associated technologies for ship, air and ground mobile applications.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
- Work in multi-disciplined team environment to develop new technology and design approaches that enable lower cost and improved performance in next generation phased array antenna systems. (20%)
- Work with RF & Systems engineers to perform requirements trades and validate feasibility. Participate in trade studies to recommend technical approaches that meet sponsor needs in advanced radar, EW and communications systems. (20%)
- Work with sponsors, prime contractors, platform managers and shipyards to develop platform integration approaches. (20%)
- Evaluate new technologies in packaging, thermal management, structures and materials for applicability to phased array antennas. (10%)
- Develop and execute risk reduction tasks. (10%)
- Develop and validate environmental, mechanical and mobility requirements for next generation active array radars, EW and communications systems. (10%)
- Perform structural and thermal analysis to develop and validate hardware designs. (10%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- BSME with 5 years or MSME with 3 years’ experience in structural and/or thermal analysis and/or platform integration (or equivalent). Must have strong analytical background with experience in finite element analysis. Requires excellent communications and interpersonal skills and the ability to work within multi-disciplined teams. Ability to obtain a Secret clearance.
- MSME or equivalent with 5-10 years’ experience in design of phased array antennas for shipboard, ground mobile or airborne applications, and experience in antenna system to platform integration. Experience in RF electronics packaging design, fabrication processes, advanced thermal management and/or composite materials.
Special Working Conditions (travel, working in closed areas, extended hours): Local and domestic travel to sponsors, government laboratories
and contractor facilities.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top