*Materials Science, Healthcare Systems Eng. Bioengineering/Biology & Chemical Engineering/ Chemistry Opportunities for New Grads 2019-2020
- Laurel, MD
Are you searching for engaging work in a technical community that prioritizes innovation and personal development?
Are you looking for an opportunity to make a difference in a mission-driven, intellectual environment?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
New college graduates are important members of the APL community. We are seeking the next generation of big thinkers to help us tackle the complex research, engineering, and analytical problems that present critical challenges to our nation. We value your unusual perspectives, creative thinking and disruptive ideas as essential to discovering defining innovations.
At APL, you will work in dynamic teams charged with developing and delivering solutions that support national priorities. As an incoming new graduate with a real passion for biological, chemical, and materials science and engineering you may find yourself...
- acting as an expert healthcare systems engineer to improve patient safety and healthcare system reliability through your work with clinical staff around technology, information and optimal workflows.
- researching injury mechanisms through the lens of biomechanics research including high-rate experimentation, data collection and analysis from novel sensor systems, and human model development for the purpose of preventing injuries before they occur
- using your background in biological sciences to participate in a variety of research, development, and test and evaluation projects to highlight naturally occurring and man made threats in support the Homeland Protection, Special Operations and National Heath mission areas.
- applying creativity, chemical knowledge, and laboratory experience (e.g, Analytical Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Organic/ Inorganic Chemistry, etc.) to address concerns related to national defense, terrorism, and weapons of mass destruction
- synthesize and characterize new molecules, polymers and biomolecules to develop novel synthetic and reactive concepts in support of new and ongoing chemistry research projects related to defense and homeland protection.
- performing research and development in multiple areas of interest to DoD and NASA programs including materials science, hyper velocity impacts and operational environments.
- developing microfluidic devices, MEMS devices, carbon-nanotube optical coatings, and methods to evaluate the security of integrated circuits.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
You may be right for APL if you…
- BS, MS, or PhD in biomedical or biomechanical engineering, chemistry, chemical engineering, material science or related field.
- Have maintained a minimum 3.0/4.0 GPA Note: When prompted to upload attachments, please include a copy of your college transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable).
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a higher level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Back to top