- Laurel, MD
Are you a problem solver?
Do you want to apply your experience to make a difference in the world through clean water research?
Are you searching for meaningful work in advancing technologies?
Are you passionate about advanced materials and innovative solutions to our country's most demanding problems?
Do you like contributing to solving critical challenges for National Security and U.S. Department of Defense missions?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a materials engineer with a strong background in materials chemistry and engineering. The ideal candidate will have strong experience in materials for water purification, water harvesting, membrane science, and polymer synthesis and processing. We are also looking for a candidate who understands the art of solving problems in materials science and is able to come up with innovative solutions. The successful candidate works collaboratively with the principal investigator, communicates well, identifies new research opportunities, and takes the initiative to understand the science needed to develop solutions.
You will be joining a hardworking team of world-class engineers and scientists passionate about innovation, work ethics, and healthy collaboration. Our team is committed to excellence in work and diversity. We strive to foster an environment of open communication and continuous improvement.
As a materials engineer, you will support on-going research projects ranging from polymeric materials to methods to generate clean water.
Your duties will include:
- Providing support for on-going clean water projects. Activities include, but are not limited to: developing technologies for removing perfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) from water, develop high absorbing media for harvesting water from air, and polymer hydrogel synthesis, especially stimulus responsive hydrogels (by UV, pressure, heat, salinity).
- Perform water filtration, harvesting tests according to the National Sanitary Foundation (NSF) test methods, and analyze test data using JMP/Excel and related tools.
- Interact with laboratory technicians, scientists, and engineers daily to ensure statement of work tasks are completed within the agreed upon timeframe. Report work progress in both oral and written form.
- Think critically about and provide solutions to current shortcomings associated with current technologies/approaches.
- Pursue innovative research in materials environmental technologies.
- Contribute to sponsor briefings, publish original research in this area, and present the work at academic and technical conferences.
- Holds a master's degree in materials science, polymer chemistry, environmental science, or a related discipline.
- Have 3 years of experience in clean water technologies, such as water purification, water harvesting, or water desalination.
- Have 3 years of experience in polymer synthesis, esp. hydrogels (both physical and chemical gels) and be familiar with the characterization of these materials using DSC, DMA, GPC, and mechanical analysis.
- Have hands-on experience in water testing and be familiar with PFAS testing.
- Are a team player and have excellent communication skills.
- Are willing and able to travel occasionally to attend meetings with sponsors and academic conferences.
- Are a U.S. citizen and able to obtain a secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you,
- Have 2 years of industrial experience in these fields.
- Have experience in polymer processing and water testing.
- Have experience in molecular dynamics modeling.
- Have a strong track record of helping your team be successful.
Why Work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins UniversityApplied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation'smost critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we arededicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, whatmakes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmospherewhere you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and buildstrong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate ourdifferences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoygenerous benefits, including a robust education assistance program,unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL'scampus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about ourcareer opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top