Maritime Systems Engineer
Are you a committed problem solver, with enthusiasm for Maritime Systems? Do you have a passion for systems engineering, systems integration, acquisition management and technology evaluation? If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a Maritime Systems Engineer to help us provide technology evaluations; concept development, prototyping, and fielding; and broad systems engineering expertise in a trusted agent role for Navy manned and unmanned systems efforts. You'll be joining a hardworking team of engineers who seek to enrich the effective solutions presented to programs in the Force Projection Sector. We strive to foster an environment of creative collaboration. As a member of our team, you will contribute to APL's legacy of scientific research and development and trusted service to the nation.
As a Maritime Systems Engineer…
- Your primary responsibility will be to apply maritime domain expertise to the detailed development, integration, and evaluation of technical solutions. Topics may include but are not limited to submarine payloads, unmanned vehicles and payloads, acoustic systems, communications systems, autonomy and on-board processing, power distribution, mechanical integrity, launch and recovery support, and integration of COTS components into fleet systems.
- You will apply systems engineering authority to work with APL colleagues, DoD partners, and vendors in developing, documenting, implementing, testing, and maintaining systems for Science and Technology (S&T) demonstration and rapid-prototype efforts as well as for both fast to fleet and traditional acquisition programs of record. Apply systems engineering knowledge and skills to develop systems engineering processes and system engineering artifacts such as specifications, use cases, system architecture, and trade studies. Perform a variety of engineering tasks including white paper development, technology surveys, and drafting of technical findings and recommendations. Author and review technical analyses, designs, and systems engineering artifacts for engineering and programmatic milestones and technical reviews.
- You will work with multiple DoD system partners to evaluate current strategies, risks, and opportunities to allow for the development and implementation of test and evaluation strategies to refine / improve their programs and missions.
- You will work with program and functional managers to expand the breadth of technical challenges and explore new areas to which the team could contribute. Support government agency engagement and concept development. Assist or lead activities to expand existing work or acquire new work which may include proposal writing and meetings with the potential government agencies.
- You will support government agency meetings at the Washington Navy Yard and/or Pentagon. Some meetings will be able to be supported via telecom or VTC.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you…
- Have a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Naval Architecture, Ocean Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related technical discipline.
- Have 6 years of experience working with maritime systems or a field applicable to this position.
- Are passionate about in system engineering methods and tools for maritime system development, integration, evaluations, and technology analysis.
- Enjoy leading or working as a member of a team with minimum supervision.
- Have proven ability to lead/participate in engineering teams to provide technically sound solutions to system development and interoperability problems.
- Have experience communicating effectively with all levels of staff and sponsors.
- Are willing to travel for meetings at government agency facilities within 30 miles of JHU APL. Additional regional or out of state travel may be required for partner meetings, conferences and platform integrations and testing. This travel could possibly include 1 to 7 days per month and up to 4 weeks a year.
- Are eligible to obtain a DOD Top Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security investigation and will need to meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you…
- Have a M.S. in System Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Naval Architecture, Ocean Engineering, or equivalent.
- Have worked with various U.S. Navy organizations.
- Have experience with DOD Acquisition Programs or DOD S&T programs.
- Have proven abilities in a leadership role.
- Hold an active Top Secret security clearance
Why Work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top