Linux/UNIX Systems Engineer
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Linux/UNIX Systems Engineer.
Provide Linux/UNIX systems administration support for 500 Linux and Solaris systems.
- Install, configure, maintain and administer Linux/UNIX operating systems and components. Install and maintain various software products.
- Troubleshoot and resolve software and hardware problems, interface with vendor technical support to resolve problems and work with other technical staff on supporting their needs.
- Configure and maintain system monitoring tools, monitor and test system performance, provide statistics and reports on a regular basis.
- Participate as a member of the Linux/UNIX System Administration Team.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- B.S. or equivalent years of related professional experience.
- Demonstrated written communications skills that will be used to document analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability in acquisition of new technical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve problems with general direction.
- Experience with the Red Hat Linux family (Red Hat Enterprise Server, CentOS, Oracle Enterprise Linux, Fedora)
- Experience with Linux scripting
- Experience with Solaris 11.
- Experience with Red Hat Satellite Server.
- Experience with a configuration management product (Ansible, Puppet, Chef)
- Experience with virtualization (VMware, Xen, RHEV, Hyper V)
- Experience with LDAP
- Experience with hardening Linux OS
Special Working Conditions (travel, working in closed areas, extended hours):
Occasional Saturday morning hours required. Participate in a weekly after hours on-call rotation every 8 weeks.
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top