Junior Microwave Photonics Engineer
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Microwave Photonics Engineer.
Design, develop, and test advanced photonic microwave, and mm-wave systems using fiber optic and photonic integrated circuits technologies. Conduct analysis of relevant data and participate in system design activities. Formally document work in sponsor briefings and reports, academic journals, and conference presentations.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
1. Design and develop optical subsystem hardware based on components such as lasers, modulators, photodiodes, and passive components (30%).
2. Support evaluation of optical, electrical, and RF hardware through benchtop testing using optical test equipment, bit error rate tester, spectrum analyzer, network analyzer, and other test equipment (35%).
3. Design prototype systems and conduct critical experiments (20%).
4. Develop and document formal and informal requirements to support design and test activity (5%).
5. Develop test plans to verify performance against requirements (5%)
6. Document work in formal and informal technical reports, including presentations, conference proceedings, and journal articles (5%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- B.S. degree in electrical engineering, physics, optics or closely related field with 1-5 years of experience with optical and microwave test and measurement equipment
- Demonstrated interest in one or more of the following areas: microwave photonics, radio over fiber, photonic RF frequency sources, photonic integrated circuits, optical frequency dissemination, photonic analog to digital conversion.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- M.S. degree in electrical engineering, physics, optics, or closely related field with 1-5 years of experience
- Hands on laboratory experience in one or more of the following areas: microwave photonics, radio over fiber, photonic RF frequency sources, photonic integrated circuits, optical frequency dissemination, photonic analog to digital conversion
- Contributing author to a conference proceeding, academic journal, or other formal documentation in the area of microwave photonics.
- Experience with MATLAB or LabView or similiar
- Experience modeling optical systems in MATLAB
- Experience with signal processing algorithms
Special Working Conditions [Travel, working in closed areas, extended hours]:
Occasional travel to sponsors sites, field tests, and meeting will be required (< 20%).
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top