Java Software Engineer
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Software Application Engineer.
Java Software Developer to support APL engineering and manufacturing applications for a one-year assignment.
- Manage existing custom applications by upgrading to latest technologies, responding to user calls, addressing operational initiatives (30%)
- Interact with all levels of users to gather and document requirements for applications (20%)
- Design, develop, integrate and test software to enhance engineering applications and business processes (40%)
- Provide sound configuration management and configuration control of software products and documentation. Participate in design reviews, test plan generation and regression testing (10%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- Bachelors degree or coursework in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering and equivalent years of IT related professional work experience.
- 4 years of relevant experience in software engineering.
- Familiarity with software design and development, including recognized best software engineering practices and agile software development.
- Experience in software development with service based data-driven Java applications, Eclipse, Linux, Database SQL, and Configuration Management tools.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently and as part of an integrated team.
- Excellent verbal and written communications to document and present technical work to a broad audience.
- M.S. in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering or equivalent.
- Software development experience in Windows and Unix/Linux operating systems.
- Perform testing and integration using tools such as Selenium and Jenkins.
- Experience integrating software services into complex systems using AngularJS, Spring framework, JSP, MAVEN, JSF, Primefaces, Web services and database interaction tools (JDBC, Hibernate), .Net, Business Intelligence tools, reporting, automated testing suites.
Special Working Conditions:
Occasional Saturday morning hours required. Participate in a weekly after hours on-call rotation.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top