IT/Linux Systems Administrator
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a IT/Linux Systems Administrator.
Provide information technology expertise in leading, managing and administering Force Projection Sector (FPS) computing facilities in accordance with current NISPOM Automated Information System (AIS) rules and regulations. Provide computer hardware/software support in configuring, installing, uninstalling and maintaining systems used in conducting field tests and in laboratory environments. Participate with group supervisors and program managers in providing efficient, cost-effective computing facilities which support direct-funded tasking.
Provide technical support for FPS closed area computing facilities including, applications, engineering applications, integration between Linux and Windows platforms and existing hardware. 40%
Provide hardware /software support and integration for sector level projects. Meet with project managers to understand project scope and priorities. Identify and procure required hardware/software. 10%
Independently configure and manage multipurpose Linux/Windows-based client systems with standard office applications, analysis tools, and desktop software. Provide technical support for FPS unclassified computing facilities including management of sector level servers, storage systems, and project servers; support existing hardware; and identification of new hardware requirements. 40%
- Other duties as required. 10%
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- BS in the information technology field with at least 8 years of relevant experience or 12 years of equivalent relevant experience in the information technology field.
- Must have verifiable experience with Linux server and desktop operating systems, including popular distributions such as CentOS 6/7, RHEL 6/7, and Ubuntu 14/16, etc.
- Working understanding of reading and writing bash scripts.
- Ability to manage, configure and troubleshoot NFS exports and automounts.
- Must also have some experience with the integration of both Windows and Unix platforms in a diverse network environment.
- Strong interpersonal and oral/written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to independently analyze, identify and document project/program needs and develop strong technical, cost-effective solutions for addressing use of existing and future computing resources.
- Current DoD 8570 certification (Security or CISSP), orability to obtain DoD 8570 certification within 6 months of employmentrequired.
- Desired Qualifications:
- MS Degree in information technology field.
- Experience with VMware ESXi, Splunk data collection in an enterprise environment, desktop office products, database administration, and scientific applications.
- CompTIA Linux or RHCA Certification, Dell certification.
Special Working Conditions: Occasional travel to field test sites or onboard Navy or research vessels to install/uninstall field test computer equipment.
Security: Top Secret Clearance is required. Applicants selected will be subject to a Government security investigation and must meet the eligibility requirements for access to classified information up to the Top Secret level. Eligibility requirements include US citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top