IT Windows Systems Administrator
Introduction: The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking an experienced IT Windows Systems Administrator.
Job Summary: Provide computer hardware/software support in configuring, installing, and maintaining classified systems used on laboratory processing and test environments. Interact with Information System Security Officers (ISSO), program users and managers, and internal and external security personnel to ensure the security and functionality of Force Projection Sector's classified resources.
- Provide technical support for FPS closed computing facilities including standard office applications, scientific applications, engineering applications, and integration between Linux and Windows Platforms. Identify, analyze and communicate new hardware needs. Responsible for the proper assessment, analysis, documentation and implementation of approved security practices and procedures related to information systems security. (40%)
- Provide support and maintenance of enterprise level implementations of Microsoft Active Directory Group Policy, and required security applications like endpoint antivirus and media control. Ensure legacy compliance to standards like NISPOM and ODAA as well as upcoming RMF compliance of all operating system files and associated applications on classified endpoints. (25%)
- Independently setup and support multipurpose Windows-based client systems with standard office and analysis tools, and desktop software. Provide occasional technical support for FPS unclassified computing facilities; including management of sector and project level servers. Support existing hardware and identify new hardware needs. (25%)
- Provide hardware/software support and integration for department level projects. Meet with program managers to understand project scope and priorities. Identify and procure required hardware/software. (5%)
- Other duties as required. (5%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purposes of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
Required Qualifications: BS in Information Technology field with at least 3 years of relevant experience or 6 years of equivalent relevant experience in the information technology field. Extensive experience with Windows Server operating systems, including Active Directory, Exchange, group policy, DNS, and experience with scripting. Extensive experience with Current Windows Server and Desktop operating systems. Experience with scripting in XML and Powershell. Strong interpersonal and oral/written communications skills. Demonstrated ability to independently analyze and identify project/program needs and developed strong technical, cost-effective solutions for addressing use of existing and future computing resources.
Desired Qualifications: MS Degree in information technology field. Expertise with virtualization and hypervisors, desktop office products, database administration, and scientific applications. Expertise data log parsing queries in applications such as Splunk. Current 8570 compliance certificates like Security+ or CISSP. MCSE or equivalent operating system or technology training. Dell certification experience with real world enterprise deployments and operations using Powershell and batch scripting.
Special Working Conditions: Occasional travel to field sites on board Navy or research vessels to install/uninstall field test computer equipment.
Security: Secret Clearance is required with the ability to obtain a Top Secret Clearance. Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Gianni works on the design, modeling, and simulation of low- to high-fidelity radar projects for the lab. He also conducts tests to evaluate new technologies.
Back to top