IT System Domain & Security Administrator (Classified Network)
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is actively seeking an IT Systems Domain & Security Administrator. JHU APL is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC.
Provide system domain administration and compliance management for large, diverse classified network environment. Support the standardization, compliance and enforcement of DoD requirements. Maintain and manage Domain Name Services and manage Group Policy Objects through Active Directory enterprise supporting Windows servers, desktops, client applications. Maintain systems in accordance with applicable NISPOM/Industrial Security Standards/ODAA (in transition to DAAPM/RMF) classified systems security practices and procedures.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
- Microsoft Enterprise Management: Manage and maintain systems and security policies using Active Directory and Group Policy Objects. Work with clients and vendors to support and troubleshoot OS and hardware performance issues. Proactively monitor the health of server infrastructure to ensure server uptime SLAs are met. (30%)
- Security Compliance: Actively scan systems using DoD approved tools and remediate findings in accordance with policy. Evaluate new or changed security requirements and apply STIGs and harden systems according to security policy. Maintain required DoD reporting for auditing. Perform Assistant Information System Security Officer (A-ISSO) duties to support ISSO. (40%)
- Senior Systems Support: Work with system administrators to apply monthly Microsoft OS patches and 3rd party vendor security patches as needed. Provide support for senior level support as needed for software application packaging and deployment. (10%)
- Projects: Work with ISSO, clients and local team members to research, recommend hardware and OS configuration required to support approved projects and initiatives. (10%)
- Communication/Documentation: Develop and maintain document repositories and architectural diagrams related to the installation, administration, maintenance, and use of domain environment. Provide documentation as appropriate (e.g. ticket creation and maintenance, e-mails, process improvements, knowledge base articles). Give technical presentations as needed. (10%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in an IT-related field; or in lieu of a degree, 10 years' relevant IT professional work-related experience
- At least 4 years of technical support experience in a large size Microsoft Windows IT environment
- At least 2 years of technical support experience working in a Classified environment
- Expert knowledge of Active Directory, DNS and Group Policy and strong knowledge of Windows Server operating systems to include an applicable certification
- Ability to troubleshoot advanced server and networking issues
- Firm understanding of TCP/IP and networking protocols.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Self-motivated and able to work in a team environment with the ability to interface with all levels of staff
- Current clearance level of Top Secret
- Current Security or equivalent DoD 8570 IAT Level II Certification or ability to obtain required certification within six (6) months of employment
- Experience locking down Windows systems in accordance with DoD STIGs
- Scripting experience
- Experience with Nessus/Tenable
- Experience managing and maintaining virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI)
- Experience supporting and troubleshooting Linux systems
Special Working Conditions: Working in closed areas, occasional travel to Field office
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Gianni works on the design, modeling, and simulation of low- to high-fidelity radar projects for the lab. He also conducts tests to evaluate new technologies.
Back to top