IT Help Desk Assistant Manager
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking an Assistant Section Supervisor in the IT Help Desk Section.
Support leadership within the Help Desk/Desktop Services group in the Information Technology Services Department (ITSD). Assist in supervising staff within the group, be responsible for the quality of products, and support services delivered.
- Assist in managing day-to-day operations of an enterprise level Help Desk/Desktop Services team supporting over 6,000 customers. Provide leadership to support staff delivering technical support for various software and hardware needs within the company.
Assist with providing supervision, mentoring, coaching, career guidance for IDS section staff. Contribute to staff's Record of Accomplishment (ROA) assessment as well as actively help manage personnel issues with the team.
Work closely with the IDS Management team to promote a positive work environment and achieve the group goals.
Interact and collaborate with all levels of staff to include active participation and involvement as part of ITSD's Extended Management Team (EMT).
- Lead group involvement in classified support, legal remediation efforts and customer walkup desk services.
- Oversee daily management of and coordination of the IT ticketing system queues for the group. Provide backup Queue coordination backup coverage as needed.
Monitor to ensure tickets are addressed within identified Service Level Agreement (SLAs) and in alignment with ITIL best practices. Proactively develop improvement initiatives and solutions to enhance documentation and improve processes. Conduct periodic ticket reviews and deliver feedback to each technician on their individual ticket review.
Review daily staffing levels and work with IDS Management on adjusting staff levels based on support needs. As needed, provide day-to-day scheduling and ticket assignments.
Collaborate with other departments to resolve ticket issues and/or improve the customer experience.
- Manage to resolution escalated customer request and concerns. Pull in appropriate resources to resolve the customer issue in a timely manner. Provide status updates to IDS Management team. Collaborate and provide back-up to Field Services Assistant Section Supervisor.
- Assist with analyzing daily, weekly and monthly operational metrics. Help develop and implement process improvements and assist with other projects with enhance or are in support of department and group (IDS) goals.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- Bachelor's Degree in an IT-related field; or in lieu of a degree, 8 years' relevant IT professional work-related experience.
- At least 2 years' experience leading an IT team supervising 5 IT staff members or overseeing a project preferably in a customer support environment.
- Outstanding customer service skills with strong verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Possess a minimum of 7 years of broad technical experience to include desktops, laptops, and printers, software experience in Microsoft Windows, and Microsoft Office. Networking experience in a Windows server environment running Active Directory and Exchange.
- Proven track record of utilizing key performance indicators (KPIs) to analyze, develop and implement strategies which result in measureable improvements to ensure quality services are delivered within established service level agreements (SLAs).
- Ability to independently resolve complex problems using current job knowledge, research and external resources.
- Highly motivated with a desire to lead change in a fast-paced environment.
- Previous experience/success as an inspiring leader, mentor and coach to direct reports and other team members with the skills required to handle all personnel matters. Ability to make difficult decisions and handle conflict resolution. Serve as a positive role model for staff and interface well with all levels of staff.
- Security Certification required; or obtained within 6 months of hire.
- Master's Degree
- Demonstrated project management skills including planning and scheduling, risk assessment, and managing to a schedule
- Experience with Mac and Linux operating systems
- ITIL Certifications and/or knowledge
- Experience with identifying security related issues such as system hacks, computer viruses and worms, and spyware.
- Industry recognized certifications in networking, security, operating systems and computer hardware and software. (I.e. CompTIA, Microsoft, ACMT, etc.)
Special Working Conditions:
- Must be willing to occasionally travel within or outside of Maryland (less than 5%)
- Willing to support and work the necessary hours to finish critical work and/or troubleshooting of customer-related issue to resolution.
- Routinely drive APL vehicles on and off campus.
- Ability to do long walking on a routine basis.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Gianni works on the design, modeling, and simulation of low- to high-fidelity radar projects for the lab. He also conducts tests to evaluate new technologies.
Back to top