IT Desktop / Field Services Technician
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a technical support staff member for the Field Services Section in the Desktop Services Group (IDS) in the Information Technology Services Department.
Provide build and deskside support for customer departments.
- Research, analyze, diagnose and resolve issues with customer systems including computer hardware & software, peripheral equipment, and networks using documented processes where available and best practices where not. Perform computer imaging including software & hardware validation and pre-delivery testing. Provide onsite services for customers to include incident response, delivery and system set-up of new & repaired computers along with installation of additional hardware, software and peripherals. Work on primarily Microsoft Windows, Macintosh and Linux systems. (80%)
- Perform other duties as assigned (e.g. Help Desk support, conference facility set-up, project work). (10%)
- Provide documentation as appropriate (e.g. ticket creation and maintenance, e-mails, process improvements, knowledge base articles). (10%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- Bachelors degree or at least 5 years of recent IT related work experience.
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve technical problems for users. Ability to independently resolve widely varying complex problems using current job knowledge and using research and external resources.
- Hardware, Operating System and networking experience. Hardware experience to include Intel based desktops, laptops, and printers. Operating System (OS) experience to include Windows and Mac OS. Networking experience to include strong understanding of TCP/IP and DNS. Understanding of Active Directory and Exchange.
- Highly motivated and have strong customer focus with the ability to interface with all levels of staff.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral).
- Receive a Dell Certified Enterprise Engineer (DCEE) certification within two months of employment.
- Strongly Desired – Enterprise level experience with Linux, Windows 10, Mac 10.11 and iOS
- Bachelor’s Degree in an IT-related field.
- Certifications: ITIL, A , Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP), Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer for Windows (MCSE), Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT); HDI Support Analyst
- 2-4 years’ experience with system management tools such as Altiris.
- Software experience with Desktop remote control tools.
- Good understanding and the ability to troubleshoot Linux operating systems.
- Capable of leading at least one small project team and be a contributor in various areas within the department.
- Strong presentation skills which may be used to document analysis and deliver technical information.
Special Working Conditions:
Willing to support and work the necessary hours to finish critical work. Routinely drive APL vehicles on and off campus. Ability to do long walking on a routine basis. Must be willing to occasionally (less than 5%) travel within or outside of Maryland. Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top