IT Data Services Manager
JHU/APL is seeking an Information Technology Data Services Manager to establish a new service for organization-wide customers seeking better access to business and other enterprise data. This service is key in delivering data-driven capabilities including decision support, metrics, visualizations, and advanced analytics.
The ideal candidate has experience with establishing a new offering from ground up; collaborating with stakeholders, establishing the road map, resource plan, and technologies needed to bring this new service to fruition over the next few years.
- Proactively build and execute the Data Access service area vision, roadmap, and execution plan with an emphasis on developing the data pipeline, reducing redundancies, and improving data reliability and quality.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization to understand their needs and develop sustainable solutions that support data-driven decision making. Establish service level agreements and a method to effectively fulfill service request and set customer expectations.
- Establish the team to architect, build and support the infrastructure to provide access to data through Data Virtualization (Denodo) and Data Visualization tools (Power BI, Tableau , etc.) with emphasis on data validation and data security.
- Establish user groups, outreach and training, as well as other communication methods to educate the user community and market the capabilities of the service area.
- Develop, maintain, and enhance a data catalog to integrate with the data warehouse, data virtualization platforms, and data visualization tools for the enterprise. Partner closely with other application service managers to integrate a variety of data sources and continuously improve and expand the data catalog.
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (JHU/APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC.
- Computer Science bachelor's degree or equivalent years of related IT professional work experience
- 5+ years of experience with Data Management, Data Modeling, Information Retrieval, Data Analytics, Reporting and Process Analysis
- 3+ years of experience with managing IT projects or IT operations areas
- Experience working collaboratively with business users and senior-level management users to determine information needs and effective delivery methods
- Experience with traditional and emerging database technologies including data virtualization tools.
- Experience designing and developing reporting, information delivery, data visualization, and dashboard solutions.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills, and the ability to balance multiple tasks with high attention to details
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including experience writing procedures for a complex IT/engineering/technical environment, documenting complex technical solutions, and delivering technical presentations to diverse audiences
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new processes and technologies
- Master's Degree in Information Technology or related field
- Documented Business Intelligence and Data Analytics education or certification
- Experience with Denodo
- Experience with the Microsoft BI stack or Tableau Desktop and Server
- Experience with query performance optimization
Special Working Conditions:
Occasional weekend and other after hours work required to meet critical project/work-related business needs.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender i dentity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Gianni works on the design, modeling, and simulation of low- to high-fidelity radar projects for the lab. He also conducts tests to evaluate new technologies.
Back to top