IT Business Systems Analyst
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking an IT Systems Analyst. The Air and Missile Defense Sector creates innovative solutions to our Nation’s most difficult challenges posed by evolving aircraft, missile, and surface threats. Contribute to this mission by joining the Technical Facilities Systems Administration Group (A4G).
The role of the IT business systems analyst will be to evaluate the Information Technology (IT) requirements of the Air and Missile Defense Sector in order to ensure the final deliverable of an IT solution meets all of the intended needs of the business. The IT Systems Analysts will continually seek opportunities to increase customer satisfaction and deepen client relationships effectively managing customer expectations. Being the liaison between the business units and IT, the system analyst will guide project teams through all of the development and implementation phases of the IT solution. Other responsibilities include defining and documenting high-level system technical designs, verifying requirements, creating business process descriptions, and performing business analysis.
- Consult with functional areas to develop opportunities and needs. Proactively communicate and collaborate with customers to analyze IT needs and functional requirements – evaluate and translate into technical specifications. Gather IT project requirements using various techniques including interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, surveys, business process descriptions, scenarios, business analysis, and task/workflow analysis. (70%)
- Manage projects to ensure successful design and delivery of IT services. Lead user acceptance testing and testing of new system functionalities. Create and maintain system and user documentations, develop procedures and perform end-user training/support. (15%)
- Interface with other functional groups on issues or concerns related to IT systems or projects. Identify opportunities for improving IT systems and processes. (10%)
- Lend support to internal organizations. (5%)
Success criteria includes the ability to work under general direction and formulate and define systems scope and objective based on user needs and an understanding of applicable business systems and industry requirements. Must have an understanding of complex business and computer systems in an Enterprise setting and have the ability to lead business / technical meetings and manage projects. Must be able to evaluate evolving business requirements and recommend appropriate systems alternative. Engage in multiple initiatives simultaneously.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- BS degree Information Technology or Information System Engineering related field
- Five years requirements and development work in Information Technology
- Detailed understanding of IT application systems with broad knowledge of guidelines to support IT managers and IT staff along with end users.
- Knowledge of IT concepts, principles, and practices sufficient to plan and carry out difficult and complex assignments to develop new methods, approaches, and procedures.
- Work experience in a heterogeneous IT environment utilizing both Windows and Linux with involvement and understanding of current and emerging technologies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, written and oral communications skills, and organizational skills with a record of accomplishment in a team environment.
- Project management and technology methodology experience
- Strong analytical skills required, including a thorough understanding of how to interpret customer business needs and translate them into operational requirements
- Ability to manage stressful situations and deal with obstacles within the working environment, which includes peer relations and the demands of handling multiple tasks, and ability to be flexible, creative, showing initiative and being persistent as a team player.
- Candidates must have the ability to obtain a Secret clearance.
- MS (or higher) degree in Information Technology or Information System Engineering related field
- Familiarity with Navy surface ship system acquisition, systems engineering, and system functionality and operations.
- PMI Professional in Business Analysis
- Working knowledge of Enterprise Information Technology Architecture, Continuous Process Improvements (CMI) and Business Process Re-engineering (BPR)
- Experience in use of methodologies such as ITIL, SCRUM & AGILE
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top