IT Applications Section Supervisor
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking an IT Applications Supervisor.
Manage a team of up to 10 IT professionals in the Applications Services (IAS) Group of the Information Technology Services Department (ITSD), taking responsibility for all aspects of tasking, career development and performance management. Be part of a creative leadership team that promotes continuous learning, encourages process improvement, and delivers top-notch solutions for the organization. Apply strategic and analytical skills to develop innovative solutions in support of IT service management, facilities management and security applications.
- Supervise a software applications team. Establish strong relationships with staff, conduct coaching, promote career growth, provide tasking, and manage performance. Ensure work assignments are consistent with staff development plans and operational/project needs. Participate as a member of the group's management team and the department's extended management team. (20%)
- Manage operational support for selected applications including setting priorities for enhancements/fixes, responding to support requests from a large user population, designing/building reports, monitoring recurring jobs, managing vendor relationships, leading efforts to assess impact and establish approach when data and/or processes are impacted by business process re-engineering, organization changes or statutory/contractual obligations and managing communications with user community. (40%)
- Provide subject matter expertise and hands-on support for one or more of the applications. Lead and perform business analysis for critical enterprise Software as a Service (SaaS), Commercial off-the-Shelf (COTS) and custom-developed software. Work closely with end users and cross-functional stakeholders to conduct and document functional analysis and create detailed business and functional requirements; Create business process workflows and data diagrams; Analyze and suggest improvements to business processes with system solutions, and participate in design reviews to ensure solutions meet user requirements. (40%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- Bachelor's degree in IT related field, or equivalent years of IT professional work experience.
- At least seven years of IT professional work experience, including 4 years of hands-on structured system analysis and design experience.
- At least 2 years of previous line supervision and project leadership experience managing conflict, prioritizing task assignments, and developing talent.
- At least two years hands-on experience maintaining and supporting business applications as a service manager or equivalent. Experience working directly with IT functions: Servers, Security and Networking
- Detailed knowledge of and hands-on experience with the full software development life cycle.
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of Business Analysis fundamentals; including requirement gathering, stakeholder collaboration, negotiation, functional design and system testing
- Experience in creating Process / Data flow diagrams
- Ability to function in a team environment as a team lead and as an individual technical contributor.
- Capable of making difficult decisions.
- Excellent written and presentation communication skills, with staff and customers.
- Ability to interface well with all levels of staff.
- Strong multi-tasking, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with IT service management, facilities management, or security information and management software solutions.
- Experience with ServiceNow, IBM Maximo or TRIRIGA Product, or SIMS Software.
- Master's degree in Information Technology or related field.
- Familiarity with IT management best practices (e.g., ITIL) and software engineering best practices (e.g., CMM).
Special Working Conditions:
Occasional weekend and other after hours work required to handle and/or complete critical project/work-related business needs.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top