Integrated Fire Control System of Systems Engineer
Do you have experience with radar, EO/IR, electronic warfare, combat systems, or weapons?
Are you passionate about using innovation and technology to solve strategic national security challenges and define the next generation of system of systems to defend the US and allies?
If you answered yes, we are looking for you to join our world-class systems engineering team at APL.
We are seeking an Integrated Fire Control (IFC) System of Systems (SoS) engineer to help us ensure the United States remains the most effective and efficient military across all domains – maritime, ground, air, space, and cyberspace. Our systems engineers work to tackle critical problems to improve distributed, diverse, and agile system capabilities for the Navy and other DoD sponsors in a collaborative environment. The IFC team applies SoS engineering to define, enable, and realize distributed kill chains - sensors, networks, combat systems, and weapons - using either offensive or defensive measures for protection from adversaries. The work encompasses the systems engineering life cycle for individual systems at different stages from needs analysis, feasibility/trade studies, requirements definition, design and integration, to test and evaluation.
As an IFC System of Systems Engineer…
- Your primary responsibility will be defining and evaluating IFC kill chains.
- You will analyze, characterize, and assess kill chain performance through varying levels of Modeling Simulation and Analysis from first principles feasibility studies to high fidelity simulations.
- You will develop government requirements for both SoS and individual systems and evaluate proposed contractor designs to ensure they satisfy requirements.
- You will propose and develop innovative methods for integrating new systems.
- You will evaluate and integrate new technologies into existing systems to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- You will work collaboratively, both externally with government and contractor representatives and internally across APL teams to define and develop new distributed system technologies and algorithms for future experimentation and tactical fielding.
- You will document concepts and analysis and effectively communicate results to high-level government sponsors and laboratory management.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a BS in Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or comparable technical field.
- Have 5 years of experience in systems engineering work
- Have expertise and familiarity with high level programming language such as MATLAB, Python, C , or Mathematica.
- Have strong analytical and applied mathematical skills.
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Have experience with DoD sensors, networks, combat systems, and/or weapon systems.
- Have experience performing effectively in a multi-disciplinary team, including mentoring of less experienced staff.
- Are willing and able to travel up to three days per month to remote sites, work in closed areas, and work occasional extended hours.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret security clearance by your start date and can ultimately attain a Top Secret clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You will go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have a MS/PhD in Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or comparable technical field.
- Have 10 years of systems engineering experience with US Navy Surface Combatants and Air and Missile Defense.
- Have proven technical leadership experience.
- Active TS clearance.
Why Work at APL?
TheJohns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-classexpertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and sciencechallenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robusteducation assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Ouremployees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campusis located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our careeropportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL isan Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants willreceive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion,sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status,veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top