Information System Security Manager (ISSM)
- Laurel, MD
Do you love to develop high complex solutions?
Are you searching for meaningful work in Information Assurance and Cybersecurity in support of Classified Systems and Networks?
Are you passionate about Information Systems Security Management?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL...
We are seeking a dedicated Information System Security Manager to help provide oversight to ensure protection of APL's classified information systems and infrastructure.
As a member of our team, you'll contribute to IS Security Management and oversight of our classified information systems in support of Sponsor/Program needs. You'll join an impressive team of technical specialists who are motivated by one common goal. We are passionate about supporting our Program needs. You'll be an active contributor to the safeguarding of all APL's Sponsor network systems. With your help, we will provide information assurance, self-inspection, and policy guidance for mainly Windows and some Linux-based systems in multiple classified facilities. You'll be part of a team to ensure that policies, procedures, and Information Assurance system hardening (ensuring system availability, integrity, authentication and confidentiality) is in place as required by the Joint Special Access Program Implementation Guide (JSIG), sponsor policies and procedures.
As an Information System Security Manager...
- Participate as member of ISSM team responsible for developing and maintaining formal Information Security Program and policies.
- Ensure the development, maintenance and oversight of System Security Plans (SSPs). Review SSPs developed by ISSOs and endorse those found to be acceptable. Ensuring the development of system certification documentation.
- Responsible for investigating and reporting security violations and incidents, as appropriate. Ensure systems are operated, maintained, and disposed of in accordance with internal security policies and practices outlined in the System Security Plan (SSP).
- Conduct periodic reviews to ensure compliance with SSPs. Function as lead contact for IS security inspections, tests, and reviews by oversight authorities.
- Support the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) in support of the Laboratory's Classified Information Security Program.
- Be a liaison with assigned sponsor programs during their Assessment of JHU/APL.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 5 years computer operating systems administration experience (Windows or Linux).
- Minimum of 8 years information technology experience working in a classified computer facility in information, intelligence, or security areas. Current SSBI required.
- Minimum of 5 years writing System Security Plans (SSPs) as an ISSO or related role.
- Working familiarity with National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual (NISPOM), Intelligence Community Directives (ICD) security requirements or the Risk Management Framework (RMF).
- Minimum of 5 years working experience of the Classified Assessment and Authorization (A&A) process with NISPOM, ICD, JSIG security frameworks/policies.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills and the ability to effectively interact with managers and technical staff.
- Current DoD 8570 certification (Security or CISSP), or ability to obtain DoD 8570 certification within 6 months of employment required.
- Demonstrated customer and project management skills to include strong prioritization, organization, planning, teamwork, problem-solving, and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service; to motivate, lead, and manage teams; and to effectively interact with all levels of Laboratory staff, sponsors, customers, and representatives of external organizations.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Experience working in or directly supporting the Department of Defense or other U.S. government entities desired.
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills, and the understanding of customer focus.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top