Infectious Disease Scientist- Virologist
- Laurel, MD
Are you passionate about protecting our nation’s biosecurity?
Do you specialize in molecular pathogenesis and viral evolution/transmission to characterize and respond to emerging biological threats?
If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
The Applied Biological Sciences Group (QPA), located within the Asymmetric Operations Sector (AOS), is committed to APL's mission to provide critical contributions to critical challenges. We seek a highly motivated scientist with expertise in molecular pathogenesis and viral evolution and transmission. Candidates should be curious, collaborative, and dedicated to leveraging world class expertise to develop real-world solutions for national security and health application spaces as part of a dynamic and innovative interdisciplinary team.
We are passionate about getting the right solution to our sponsors and end users, and are committed to integrity and honesty. We strive to be a trusted agent for the government and cultivate an environment of trust, transparency and accountability. At APL, you will be among creative thinkers, motivated problem solvers and life-long learners that want to strengthen the safety and security of our country and our warfighter.
As a Microbiologist / Virologist, you will...
- Primarily advance efforts in understanding basic mechanics of viral evolution and transmission through modeling and experimentation.
- Leverage novel findings to advance mitigation strategies to reduce the impact of infectious disease on public and warfighter health, including development of medical countermeasures and surveillance strategies. You will contribute to a strong team in the design and execution of interdisciplinary efforts using cutting edge methods and technologies.
- Lead research efforts by building diverse and high-performing teams, providing technical mentorship of staff, and promoting collaborative exchange of ideas.
- Track project progress to ensure milestones are met at the highest levels of quality and innovation. Key findings will be communicated both internally across teams and externally to sponsors and the broader research community.
- Be an advocate for your discipline and champion the inclusion of molecular pathogenesis using systems biology approaches and analysis into efforts across APL.
- Aid in bridging the gap between basic research and real world impact.
- Provide leadership in, and support internal initiatives driving, the development of new opportunities driving technical innovation and growth in areas of infectious disease characterization and modeling relevant to APL sponsors and in alignment with APL strategy.
- Lead the reporting and communication of results to the APL community, sponsors, and broader scientific community through presentations, peer-reviewed journal publications, and technical meetings.
- Participate in collaboration and innovation opportunities to help ensure the success of APL’s mission.
- On occasion, be required to drive APL vehicles. Position will require travel up to 20% of time and working in a BSL-2 working environment.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have:
- A Doctoral degree plus 3-5 years professional experience in Virology, Immunology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Genomics, or relevant field
- Experience partnering with computational biologists / cross-disciplinary collaborators
- Expertise in experimental design for evaluation of host response
- Strong communication and collaboration skills; ability to lead and contribute to teams
- Demonstrated leadership as a technical mentor, ability to lead cross-disciplinary teams, and expertise in communicating to broad audiences
- Possess an active Secret clearance, and are able to obtain a Top Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have:
- Familiarity with diagnostic platforms and pipeline development workflows
- Experience with advanced rapid, high throughput screening platforms
- Knowledgeable in clinical research and FDA regulatory processes
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top