Hypersonics System Engineer
- Laurel, MD
Are you interested in cutting edge hypersonic technology, working across the engineering continuum, and engaging industry, government, and academia to advance United States military posture?
Do you like contributing to hard problems whose bold solutions have an important bearing on national security, military readiness, and the advancement of science and engineering?
Can you help develop and articulate a national hypersonic strategy and engage with national decision makers to come to fruition?
Our national military posture is at stake - come to JHU/APL and help us maintain our dominance! If we are successful, then we can empower our policy makers, military leaders, and allies with the future systems to ensure United States values continue to shape the world.
We are seeking a Hypersonics systems engineer to help us develop hypersonic technology strategy so our government sponsors and U.S. contractors can advance weapons system capability. You will coordinate efforts between APL, external partners, the customer, and industry participants. You will develop research proposals and advocate for impactful technology. You will bring to bear your experiences, sucesses and failures, to improve the systems that are being developed.
We work with the technical community to ensure consistency of systems engineering processes, we work various aspects of integration and test preparation efforts with all engineering fields, we ensure that final test products feed into system performance validation, and we use our understanding to propose naational level investments.
As a Senior Hypersonics System Engineer your primary responsibilities will be to...
- Evaluate the integration, ground test, and flight test approach of new weapon systems, to ensure schedule realism and technical soundness, while also ensuring that test plans and test data products correlate to validation criterion. Develop demonstration/test objectives and test architectures to reduce demonstration risk.
- Evaluate industry plans, designs, and execution -- through all program phases -- by holding performers accountable to established engineering methodologies; establish entrance and exit criteria in-line with customer goals; and enforcing traceability from requirements to validation. Coordinate independent analysis, and interpret test data to inform physics-based models of system/subsystem performance.
- Participate in IPT meetings, review process boards (ERBs, CCBs, TIMs) evaluating technical progress. Evaluate risk posture, and provide independent assessment or recommendations to program leadership.
- Communicate/Coordinate efforts with various DoD organizations, other than the sponsor, to ensure program objectives are being met. Propose research ideas and envision technology that can improve weapon performance. Create reports and presentations that document program evolution.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a Bachelors in engineering or related field
- Have at least 7 years of experience working in hypersonics or missiles
- Have a proven record of technical leadership and communications
- Are able to obtain Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain Top Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have a PhD in engineering or a closely related field
- Have a record of publications and/or Professional Society contributions
- Hold an active Top Secret clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities athttp://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top