Housekeeping Team Supervisor
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC.
Reporting to the Group Supervisor, the Section Supervisor will assist with the leadership and management of the housekeeping team to administer the Group's cleaning program standards for first impression areas, offices and technical facilities.
The Section Supervisor is responsible for the daily work activities of a diverse and highly skilled workforce. The Section Supervisor is instrumental in creating a culture that supports JHUAPL's values, excellence and dedication as well as the Facilities Management Department (FMD's) core values of integrity, trust, respect, team work and quality.
- Interacts daily with the Group Supervisor to develop work assignments and meet performance objectives of FMH
- Motivates, develops, and directs staff to achieve high performance levels.
- Assists the Group Supervisor to interview candidates.
- Works with staff to set annual goals/ objectives and provides feedback to staff Provides inputs to the Group Supervisor for HR related actions such as the disciplinary process, staff recognition and reclassifications.
- Conducts monthly performance coaching to meet performance objectives
- Identifies and develops projects to be accomplished, assigns specifics tasks to each worker
- Responds to complaints by meeting with customers regarding housekeeping service and equipment and taking corrective actions. Participates with housekeeping section supervisors to make recommendations to improve service and ensure more efficient operation between sections.
- Documents appropriate cleanliness levels and adjusts staff assignments as needed to meet daily performance
- Schedules work to promote uninterrupted flow of work
- Performs a variety of personnel and performance management duties, including resource adjustments, setting priorities, and deadlines
- Coordinate activities and work with other FMH Supervisors to ensure overall Department activities are consistent with meeting the needs of the Laboratory.
- Responsible for achieving cleanliness service levels as assigned through the quality assurance/quality control program.
- Provides inputs to update the training materials for new equipment and work practices as needed (65%)
- Performs essential duties of Maintenance Specialist as needed. This includes: Collect trash from offices, restrooms, and lobbies. Vacuum and perform carpet cleaning services. Mop and strip floors (restrooms, stairwells, lobbies). Dust and wipe furniture and vents. Strip/buff and refinish hard surfaces floors when applicable
- Responds to emergency calls as needed. This includes: Spills, water intrusion and blood born pathogen (15%)
- Uses personal computer to monitor the status of work in progress or to perform other administrative maintenance activities.
- Participates on Department and Lab-wide committees as required.
- Along with other relevant staff, meet with company representatives to evaluate and review equipment needs and new products and cleaning techniques.
- Researches and implements new technologies and contemporary processes.
- Monitors the use of and orders chemical and paper supplies, and manages good just-in-time inventory practices to minimize inventory levels.
- Monitors the reporting and approval of time cards per Group delegation.(20%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.Required Qualifications:
- Minimum 10 years' of demonstrated related experience
- Experience leading or supervising teams, including developing work assignments
- Possess strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong task/project management skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and general PC knowledge
- Demonstrated proficiency in training, resource allocation, staff development, and measurements
- Flexible work hours
- Possess good customer service and teaming skills, effective interpersonal skills, and written and verbal communications skills sufficient to effectively communicate to FMD staff and affected customers
- Possess a valid State of Maryland driver's license
- Must adhere to lab and department policies
- Must be able to work overtime and weekends
- Must be able to carry a phone and answer calls as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Associate's degree
- Demonstrated proficiency in environmentally-sensitive (green) cleaning programs, strategic planning, leadership, statistical analysis and production modeling
- Membership and participation in a professional association such as the International Executive Housekeepers Association or ISSA
Special Working Conditions:
- Normal working hours are 5:30AM to 2:00PM; adjusted or additional hours may be required during peak work load time and to provide oversight of staff on evening or night shift as required by project constraints and after-hours response to facility emergencies
- Operate APL vehicles
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Gianni works on the design, modeling, and simulation of low- to high-fidelity radar projects for the lab. He also conducts tests to evaluate new technologies.
Back to top