Help Desk Section Supervisor
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking an IT Help Desk Section Supervisor.
Provide leadership for the Help Desk Section in the Help Desk/Desktop Services group in the Information Technology Services Department (ITSD). Supervise 20 staff members assigned to the section and be responsible for the quality of customer support services delivered.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
1. Manage day-to-day operations of an enterprise help desk support team supporting over 5,500 users within Help Desk/Desktop Services group. Provide technical leadership and direction for a section of staff who provide call-center of standard and non-standard computers, software, peripherals, printers and network connectivity problems. (45%)
2. Work closely with the IDS Management Team to promote a positive work environment and achieve the group’s goals. Determine appropriate IDS resources for ITSD projects and work with IDS Management to acquire staffing needs. Interface with Project Managers and Change Management teams to review and approve operational support readiness of impacting changes to the organization. (20%)
3. Analyze daily, weekly and monthly operational metrics. Design, lead, and manage process improvements that align with Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) processes aimed at driving incremental scale and efficiency within customer support operations. (15%)
4. Responsible for all aspects of managing team personnel including interviewing, hiring, mentoring, evaluating, and managing performance issues. (10%)
5. Interact and collaborate with all levels of staff to include active participation and involvement as part of ITSD’s Extended Management Team (EMT). (10%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of professional Information Technology (IT) or related work experience.
- Seven years of IT Operations and Service Delivery experience or related field with at least 5 years in supervisory roles. Supervisory experience must include hiring, training, performance management, and coaching staff.
- An articulate and effective communicator with the ability to engage all levels of staff and management, with strong written and presentation skills.
- Proven track record of successfully leading and motivating small teams in solving complex problems and deep-dive analytics.
- Excellent time management and analytical skills
- Self-driven with a take charge attitude while exercising good judgment in a rapid paced environment.
- Seven years of broad technical experience to include Intel desktops, laptops, and printers, software experience in Microsoft Windows, and Microsoft Office. Network experience in a Windows server environment running Active Directory and Exchange.
- Proven track record of utilizing key performance indicators (KPIs) to analyze, develop and implement strategies which result in measurable improvements to ensure quality services are delivered within established service level agreements (SLAs).
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Master’s Degree in Information Technology (IT) or related discipline
- Experience with:
- Providing support via non-phone methods (i.e. chat and/or video)
- Supporting video-based self-service support material
- Mac and Linux operating systems.
- Identifying security related issues such as system hacks, computer viruses and worms, and spyware.
- One of more scripting languages (e.g. VB Script,, Windows Scripting Host)
- Demonstrated project management skills including planning and scheduling, risk assessment, and managing to a schedule.
- Certifications: A , Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP), Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer for Windows (MCSE), Security , Dell Certified Enterprise Engineer (DCEE), ITIL
Special Working Conditions (travel, working in closed areas, extended hours): .
Occasional Saturday and other after-hours work may be required to handle and/or complete critical work to meet APL’s business needs.
Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top