Health Systems Engineer
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Healthcare Engineer to support the National Health Mission Area (NHMA), in its Research & Exploratory Development Department (REDD). The NHMA seeks to revolutionize health through science and engineering in collaboration with partners such as the Johns Hopkins Enterprise to discover, invent, scale, and disseminate solutions to health and healthcare challenges.
The Health Systems Engineering Group supports the NHMA by retaining technical competencies in systems engineering, software engineering, systems analysis, healthcare domain knowledge, population health management, and project management with particular application to healthcare challenges.
The R1L Group is seeking a highly skilled and motivated Systems Engineer to support its health systems work. The successful candidate will provide overarching technical leadership for multidisciplinary, cross-organizational projects by applying best practices in project management and systems engineering to healthcare environments, will serve as an on-site systems engineering expert, and will liaise with clinical staff in support of re- engineering technologies, information, and workflows to improve patient safety and healthcare system reliability.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
Participate in key technical efforts by applying and tailoring best practices of systems engineering and project management. Provide technical leadership to guide the development of customer solutions. Furnish deliverables that meet sponsor needs, are consistent with APL quality standards, and conform to the constraints of scope, schedule, and budget for our sponsors. Manage expectations of sponsors, and other internal and external stakeholders, by identifying, mitigating, and communicating risks on these projects. Establish and promote a climate conducive to intellectual curiosity, creativity, innovation, collaboration, growth, productivity, and respect for others. (80%)
Support existing or new business activities to expand or refine the scope of the programs within the mission area and explore related opportunities tied to challenges in other mission areas. Support sponsor engagement and concept development. Assist or lead activities to acquire new work for the R1L Group, which may include proposal writing and meetings with potential sponsors. (10%)
- Participate in technical project reviews, promote systems engineering best practices, and ensure that deliverables are furnished on-time, within budget, and according to APL technical quality standards. Communicate often and effectively with staff, Section Supervisors, and Group Supervisor. (10%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- BS/MS in systems engineering or other related technical discipline with 5 years relevant experience in systems or industrial engineering.
- At least 3 years' experience in healthcare working in areas such as Quality and Patient Safety Science, Healthcare Delivery Science, or Healthcare specific analytics.
- At least 7 years of project management experience including experience in healthcare-related settings.
- A broad understanding of current challenges in health management and healthcare systems.
- Strong demonstrated skills in leadership, change management, organization learning, and planning.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish relationships and effectively interact with all levels of staff and management, as well as external sponsors.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead a multidisciplinary team of technical staff in building consensus and solving complex problems.
- Ability to travel to sponsor locations up to 60%.
- Advanced degrees in Engineering, healthcare delivery or patient safety, Public or Population Health, Epidemiology, Statistics or related disciplines.
- Exposure to U.S. Military Health System, related vocabulary, and data systems.
- Experience with population health programs, healthcare policy development, comparative effectiveness analysis or health services research.
- Previous formal line management experience.
- Secret clearance
Special Working Conditions:
- This position requires the ability to travel up to 60%.
Applicant selected will be subject to a government secret clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top