Group Office Administrative Specialist
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Group Office Administrative Specialist.
Job Summary: The Office of Technology Transfer (OTT) is seeking an Executive Administrative Assistant to provide a wide variety of high level dedicated administrative support to the Group Supervisor, Assistant Group Supervisor and approximately three (3) technical professional staff within the group.
1. Provide exceptional daily administrative support for the Group Supervisor and Assistant Group Supervisor of OTT, including real-time management of calendars, important deadlines and dates, events, appointment requests, telephone messages and other request and queries effecting changes as needed to coordinate schedules and conserve management’s time. Organize meetings and conferences by securing room location with appropriate resources as needed, manage the flow of people and information by notifying visitor control/security of outside visitors, and escorting visitors. Answer phones and initiate calls as requested. Review/edit and route presentations, correspondences and documents. On occasion, provide backup support to other OTT administrators during absences. (35%)
2. Assign and process all new Intellectual Property (IP) disclosures, update Sophia (IP Management System) database, schedule initial and follow on meetings, follow up post meeting discussions with inventors for tech category and lead inventor and other requests as instructed by technology managers and assist with case management to include conducting company and technology research and other related tasks as needed. (20%)
3. Provide administrative support to the IPRC meetings by working with Group Supervisor to create agendas, update case records, track licensing IRPC responses and SharePoint data and report to the OTT team as requested (15%)
4. Provide other administrative functions to the group including working with staff to arrange travel, including completing Travel Authorization Forms and Travel Expense Statements, NDA processing, foreign screenings/foreign visitor processing, ordering and maintaining office supplies and reconciling office supply charges, serving as the point of contact on OTT property matters. Coordinate candidate interview schedules and new hires to include space, office furniture, phone and computer. Serve as office manager by maintaining the conference room and conference room calendar, scheduling and coordinating monthly team meetings, working with group supervisor to create and distribute monthly team meeting agendas. (15%)
5. Provide administrative support to the joint JHTV collaboration efforts by working with Assistant Group Supervisor on monthly agendas, update and maintain the shared case information in Sophia, keep the JHTV Shared Box databank updated and follow up with IP Capture administrator when needed. (10%)
6. Serve as OTT Group Security Representative. Submit and track all personnel clearance requests for the group. Attend annual and quarterly security trainings conducted by the APL’s Security offices. Attend meetings and distribute security training materials to the group. Provide training to new hires and current staff regarding group security policies and procedures. (5%).
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.Required Qualifications:
- Associates degree or equivalent and 10 years of administrative experience including a minimum of 5 years supporting a technology and/or business development office.
- Professional attitude and demeanor with strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills, including ability to summarize data and provide updates and information to supervisor and others in the group, as appropriate. Strong skillset in Microsoft Office applications including a track record of proficiency in writing, with robust editing, proofreading, and file management skills.
- Demonstrated experience with effectively managing diverse and competing priorities, adaptation to fluctuating workloads and a consistency meeting deadlines.
- Self-motivated, resourceful planner and organizer with an eye for detail and a strong ability to recognize and solve general issues that may come up.
- Experience with effectively managing schedules for multiple staff using Outlook.
- Capacity to work independently with general guidance and proven initiative with eliciting tasking. Demonstrated ability to conduct general research, interpret policies and procedures and access APL databases and resources.
- Adept at building effective relationships with staff in and outside of the group
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Recent experience successfully supporting multiple executives within a professional organization
- Business, computer
- Proficiency with computers and audio/visual tools.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government secret security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top