Ground System Administrator
- Laurel, MD
We are seeking a Ground System Administrator to join our team at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL). As a member of the team, you will support the Space Exploration Sector (SES) and will be responsible for satellite, ground, flight systems and infrastructure operations and administration to include information technology (IT) employment, analysis, design, development, deployment, integration, testing, and security compliance.
- Gather and analyze IT systems, network and infrastructure requirements to design, build, test, and maintain satellite, flight, and ground systems to support Development, Integration & Test, and Mission Operations phases to realize mission objectives. Interact with aerospace scientists, applications engineers, program managers, subcontractors, and sponsors in technical meetings, formal reviews, and mission events.
- Work within a technical team on the development, procurement, implementation, deployment, integration, hardening, and testing of workstations, data and voice networks, and special data acquisition / test equipment. Meet mission requirements, plans, performance, quality, and security objectives.
- Administer IT systems and monitor infrastructure throughout mission life-cycle phases.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related field and/or five (5) or more years of equivalent professional IT systems engineering experience
- Current DoD 8570 and 8140 compliance/ certification (e.g., Security )
- Demonstrated IT systems engineering experience with mission critical systems within an Enterprise Environment (i.e., Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Microsoft Active Directory, Identity Management)
- Demonstrated IT systems administration experience designing and administering virtual infrastructure (i.e., VMware).
- Experience implementing Risk Management Framework (RMF) technical controls through Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIG) and Security Requirements Guides (SRG)
- Working knowledge of the Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency (DCSA) Assessment and Authorization Process Manual (DAAPM) policies
- Self-starter with excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills including the ability to collaborate with IT technical staff
- Demonstrated track record of interacting with Government Teams, Program Management, Systems Engineers, and Data Scientists.
- VMware Certified Associate (VCA)
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- Demonstrated Missions Operations Center (MOC) or ground systems IT network engineering support.
- Familiarity with Cloudera products - Familiarity with Space Flight Launch / Spacecraft Processing Operations, DoD Acquisition Process, Air Force Satellite Control Network (AFSCN), Space Ground Link Systems (SGLS), or Space and Missile Systems Center System Engineering standards.
Special Working Conditions:Flexibility to work non-standard business hours, respond to text, voice, and e-mail correspondence via provided smartphone, and to be on-call to support mission critical operations. Occasional business travel to deploy IT equipment to field sites and to attend technical meetings and related events.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top