Ground Software Systems Engineer (El Segundo, CA)
- El Segundo, CA
Do you have a passion for software engineering? Are you familiar with ground system architectures within larger space-based systems? If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
As a Systems Engineer, your role will be to work closely with Government sponsors to develop system CONOPS, define software architectures for sponsor solutions in the DoDAF construct, work with stakeholders to define system requirements, and assist sponsors to ensure user needs are met and contractors are meeting requirements and deliverables. You will act as a Technical Advisor Agent to sponsors in architecture and program development and in contractor program reviews, both internal and external.
In addition, you will:
- Apply systems engineering processes to define and translate concepts and identify architecture technical requirements, with a focus on the software elements in space-based ground systems. Participate in system design, development, prototyping, demonstration, and testing efforts. Work as part of a Government team to validate and verify design specifications, document and analyze requirements, review and critique system verification plan / procedures, and analyze system performance vs. requirements and user needs.
- Interact closely with multiple stakeholders and system and software engineers to arrive at a consensus on the design, development, and test phases of the program. Present analysis, propose technical solutions, model and measure performance, and validate results.
- Review software architectures and designs of applications within distributed computing networks, data networks, network simulation, and tactical networks. Perform vulnerability assessment of computer networks and satellite ground stations.
- Identify and coordinate technical work performed for sponsor at APL Laurel location.
- Participate as a member of the team to evaluate contractors' proposals for the system, and then provide contractor oversight to ensure the developed system meets user needs while mitigating program risks. Periodically brief APL management and sponsors on implementation and progress.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- A BS in Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Science related disciplines.
- Demonstrated understanding of software development, understanding of communication networks, and overall system vulnerability.
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem solving skills with understanding of computer ground networks.
- Demonstrated experience in software and network system engineering methodologies, principles, and concepts to solve systems related challenges.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic environment that includes working with changing needs and requirements.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills, be able to work independently, work as a team player, and work closely with sponsors.
- Demonstrated outstanding written and oral communication skills and good organizational skills.
- The ability to travel occasionally.
- Are able to obtain a final Top Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a TS/SCI level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- An MS in Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Science related disciplines.
- 3 years of strong software systems engineering and software development experience with emphasis on software interaction with satellite ground systems, cybersecurity, and software requirements and definition.
- Experience with current Air Force satellite ground networks, DoDAF, DoD 5000, and model based systems engineering (MBSE).
- Experience in protecting against cyber intrusion techniques.
- An active TS/SCI security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirement includes U.S. citizenship.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top