FPGA System on Chip Engineer
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is seeking an FPGA system engineer to architect and design embedded spacecraft avionics systems.
Summary: The APL Space Exploration Sector (SES) is developing highly integrated FPGA-based spacecraft avionics for a number of planetary, heliophysics and national security missions.. Designs include embedded processors to support spacecraft command and data handling, interfaces and subsystem control, and digital signal processing (DSP) co-processors to support applications in navigation, time-transfer, and spectrum estimation. Experienced embedded system architect and design engineers are needed with increasing levels of functional integration in System on Chip (SoC) FPGA. The APL/SES is seeking an FPGA SoC Engineer to architect advanced FPGAs and support core implementation. The candidate will lead small teams, design and verify high complexity digital circuits and systems, contribute to an internal patent portfolio for use across different programs, and write requirements and interface control documents. The candidate will be a member of a dynamic integrated product team and support all development phases, from early architecture through detailed implementation to integration and test and flight support.
- Architect new SoC FPGA-based embedded spaceflight systems, including trades on internal structure, external I/O, embedded processors and programmable logic for low-power and radiation-tolerant space flight missions.
- Participate in implementation and verification of block level and top level VHDL designs.
- Work collaboratively with spacecraft and avionics systems engineering team members to decompose high-level requirements and draft detailed FPGA requirements, interface control documents, and verification & test plans.
- Advance JHU/APL's FPGA patent portfolio of avionics and DSP components by serving as a liaison between design teams for re-use, re-purposing and modification.
- Participate in internal professional service (e.g. committees) and external professional service (e.g. technical conferences).
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related discipline.
- At least 5 years' experience in the design and implementation of SoC FPGA-based systems using VHDL or Verilog.
- Experience with CPU architectures and on-chip peripheral core interconnects.
- Experience with integrating commercial and custom IP cores in SoC FPGA designs.
- Knowledge of low and high-speed serial I/O protocols for off chip communication (e.g. SpaceWire, JTAG, PCIe, etc.).
- Demonstrated successful teamwork and leadership skills
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering or related discipline
- At least 5 years' experience developing SoC FPGA systems for aerospace applications
- Experience with version control systems such as Git
Back to top