Fleet Operations Section Supervisor
- Laurel, MD
Are you seeking significant work in a highly collaborative environment focused on delivering quality results to our partners and making critical contributions to the nation?
Are you organized, able to manage multiple tasks, and pay attention to details?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a section supervisor to help us lead a team of automotive technicians to execute the maintenance and repairs for a fleet of cars, trucks and industrial equipment. You will define expectations, provide guidance and foster professional development of the staff. In partnership with other sections supervisors in the group, we will create and sustain a culture of excellence and cross-enterprise collaboration.
AS A FLEET OPERATIONS SECTION SUPERVISOR your primary responsibility will be...
- Establishing and promoting a climate conducive to intellectual curiosity, creativity, innovation, collaboration, growth, productivity and respect for others. Draft job requisitions, participate in the interview process, collaborate on the hiring decisions. You will share technical knowledge within and beyond the section. Develop and maintain a vision and strategy for the section and facilitate and lead the implementation of section level operational transformation initiatives.
- You will support staff development and coach staff as necessary. Inspire and empower your staff to build a culture that adopts excellence, problem solving, diversity of thought, inclusion, and continuous improvement. We will provide resources needed to train and develop the staff to meet current and emerging needs. You will communicate often with staff regarding organizational vision and provide continual feedback and coaching support. Identify and develop key talent for future leadership roles.
- You will be responsible for appropriating the resources, facilities and tools the section needs to meet its mission. Provide leadership to ensure that the preventative maintenance and repairs are performed for the APL Fleet to meet the required service delivery goals. You will engage in the leadership and administration of the APL Snow Crew. Lead, oversee and handle special project services for Sectors and Departments. Manage an effective and comprehensive preventive maintenance program for the APL Fleet. Provide technical innovation for Fleet maintenance and emergency response to APL transportation needs. Ensure the section is staffed and aligned at the correct level to effectively reach our maintenance objectives.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have...
- A Bachelor's of Science in Automotive Technology or equivalent work experience
- 10 years of progressive experience in an automotive shop that services and maintains a diverse fleet of vehicles and industrial equipment
- 7 years of supervisory or team lead experience preferably in an institutional setting
- Familiarity with OSHA, EPA, DOT regulations
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and lead change all the time while working in a practical manner to ensure that change in delivered in a sustainable way
- Have excellent communication skills, are self-motivated, a strong influencer and negotiator with demonstrated ability to assess situations, collaborate across the organization, make timely decisions and communicate these decisions clearly and concisely
- Unquestionable integrity with exceptional communication skills and ability to effectively interact with all levels of staff
- Experience budgeting, annual operating plans, participation in strategic planning, establishing staffing plans and capital planning/management.
- Knowledge of a CMMS (computerized maintenance management software system), preferably iMaint Fleet software
- The willingness and ability to support emergency weather events to support the JHU/APL snow crew
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top