Are you seeking significant work in a highly collaborative environment focused on delivering quality results to our internal and external sponsors and making critical contributions to the nation?
Are you organized, able to manage multiple tasks, and pay attention to details?
Do you love working with numbers, have experience pricing government contracts, want to influence and implement process changes, able to handle day-to-day financial and program related tasks (i.e. forecasting and planning resources, financial reporting and analytics, proposal preparation, Contract & Program collaboration)?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join the Financial and Business Services Group in support of the Cyber Operations Mission Area at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.
We are seeking a highly motivated, self-starting, enthusiastic Financial Manager with excellent problem solving and communication skills, with the ability to work independently or in a team environment to help us to help us champion teamwork, cultivate collaboration, and develop inventive processes to achieve the objectives of our mission area and the APL organization. As a member of the group, you'll be joining a high-spirited team of hardworking professionals who are committed to delivering quality products to our customers including Senior Executive leadership, Program Management partners, and our internal customers and external Sponsors. We are passionate about delivering quality work, operating as a team that makes an impact on APL's reputation, improving processes. As a member of our team, you'll contribute to the success of our Mission Area's strategy execution by performing as a top notch Financial Manager. You will be joining a hardworking team of Financial Managers. We are passionate about being considered a key partner to our Program and Project Managers, as well as our Executive Senior Leaders. Our team is committed to providing financial visibility into our Program's fiscal health with the highest degree of accuracy. We strive to foster an environment of team work, open communications, empowerment, appreciation, integrity, trust and transparency. Our team values our culture in which we want to show and have respect, unity and a shared vision.
As Financial Manager...
- Your primary responsibility will include handling the day-to-day financial management of a portfolio of programs contracted with our sponsors.
- You will act as primary contact for program managers assigned to your program portfolio partnering with the program team to support the planning and execution of sponsor reviews and milestone meetings.
- You will use your financial experience to monitor, analyze, forecast and report on labor, non-labor and funding resources by interacting with Program Managers/Project Managers, external Sponsors, Business Financial Managers, Resource Analysts and the Sector Fiscal Representatives on financial status of programs.
- You will use the internal Management Information Systems in conjunction with Excel to provide analysis of actual and projected costs for programs.
- You will provide ad-hoc reporting and support as required.
- You will prepare monthly financial reports as required per contracts.
- We expect that you will demonstrate initiative and take appropriate actions to resolve and ensure desired results are achieved and delivered on time.
- You will assess project schedules and identify, evaluate financial and contractual risks.
- You will lead proposal pricing and preparation, including leading responses to Requests for Proposals (RFPs), writing Basis of Estimates (BOEs), and creating cost report formats.
- You will attend Project kick-off and quality review meetings, and support responses to data calls.
- You will engage with all levels of APL staff and collaborate with Contract, Subcontract, and Procurement team members.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a BS in Finance, Business Administration or other business related degree.
- Have 3+ years of experience working with Federal contracting environment.
- Are superb at multitasking, extracting data needs, prioritizing assignments, communicating progress, and meeting deadlines
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills, are flexible and can easily adapt to changing environments
- Have proven ability to be a self-starter, show a high level of initiative and a strong desire to learn
- Are willing and able to work occasional weekends or extended hours to accomplish the team's goals and objectives
- Have had a TS/SCI Full Poly security clearance within the past 2 years. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have Federal Government Financial Management and Contract experience
- Have 5+ years of experience working with DOD contracting environment, with knowledge of FAR, DFAR, and cost accounting standards.
- Have an active Top Secret/SCI w/ Full Poly clearance
- Have a MBA or equivalent Master's Degree
- Have excellent EXCEL skills and the ability to develop dashboards, BI reporting, or other visual reporting techniques
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.