Facility System Administrator
Introduction: The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking an Assistant Facility System Administrator.
Job Summary: Member of Advanced Concepts and Technologies facility systems administration team and system administrator for facility and resident networks and systems.
1.Monitor Systems to ensure proper operation and respond to user help requests. Establish new user accounts and brief new users. Support facility and resident classified and unclassified IT needs. 20%
2.Configure and install new Windows and Linux workstations and incorporate into existing networks. Plan and execute software maintenance and upgrade tasks for workstations and network software. Provide dedicated system administrator support for some projects. 30%
3.Ensure facility complies with JAFAN and NISPOM security requirements including: protection of all classified information, authentication, logging, auditing, and intrusion detection. Prepare for and support periodic security inspections. Determine necessary computer and software configurations for compliance with security requirements. 20%
4.Participate in planning of facility, computer hardware, and software upgrades (including purchases) in order to pace user needs. Work with users to gather requirements and relay those to vendors. Work with vendors to troubleshoot technical issues and implement new capabilities. 15%
5.Maintain and upgrade network hardware and software to ensure computer systems properly interface with internal and external networks. These networks include: classified internal LAN, SIPRNet, and classified NES links. Provide backup support for facility system administrator.15%
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent degree and 3 years of relevant experience or 7 years equivalent experience without degree.
- Experience should include significant aspects of deploying, building, designing, optimizing, and operating the technologies associated with Windows and/or Linux/Unix based servers and workstations.
- Ability to troubleshoot complex problems in computer networks, computer hardware, and computer operating system configuration and operation.
- Ability and desire to work well with a wide variety of end-users with differing needs and experience. Strong organizational skills, ability to work independently and multi-task effectively.
- Current DoD 8570 certification or ability to obtain certification within 3 months of offer. Ability to lift at least 40 lbs.
- Current Secret clearance with a background investigation completed within the last 5 years. Must have the ability to obtain a Top Secret clearance.
- MS or equivalent degree and 1 years of experience in Windows (2003/2008 Server and Windows XP/7), Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SuSE Enterprise Linux and Unix.
- Knowledge of classified computer facility operational procedures.
- Experience with data center operations including infrastructure, systems monitoring, and computer clusters.
- Proven ability and interest in documenting systems and operational procedures.
- Current TS/SCI.
Special Working Conditions: The job will require access to classified information. Some work outside normal working hours and on weekends for operations and maintenance.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Gianni works on the design, modeling, and simulation of low- to high-fidelity radar projects for the lab. He also conducts tests to evaluate new technologies.
Back to top