Facilities Renewal Group Supervisor
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC.
This leadership role is responsible for professional management of APL campus small to medium size renovation and construction projects for a highly technical, fast-changing research and development environment. The Facilities Renewal Group Supervisor reports directly to the Facilities Management Branch Manager. The incumbent will have two direct reports, each of whom manages a team of approximately 12 skilled trades staff, e.g. carpenters, electricians, plumbers, painters.
- Staff Management: Lead, supervise and mentor trades staff - develop staff capabilities, define expectations, administer salary actions. Ensure appropriate staff recognition and hire staff with necessary skills to execute tasks within the Group's competencies. Provide opportunities for professional development of staff by identifying potential new roles or skills required and actively support training and education activities. Administer and ensure that all staff members adhere to policies and procedures established by APL and Department Management. Hold staff accountable to the expectations that have been set.
- Work execution: Through leadership and management, organize and ensure execution of technical and administrative tasks within the group. Ensure quality, timeliness, and cost effectiveness of construction and renewal work. Responsible for the planning, development, budgeting, scheduling, and construction management of renovation projects varied in complexity within a limited schedule. These projects will typically have a duration of 4 weeks and cost of as low as $50K. Larger projects of longer duration and project budgets of up to $1M are possible.
- Strategy: Develop and maintain a vision and strategy for the Group, consistent with the Department and Laboratory strategies and objectives. Develop effective working relationships with internal customers and outside vendors. Seek creativity in planning and implementing department strategic initiatives.
- Group Administration: Establish and maintain business/operational processes for all aspects of group performance to include safety, personnel management, material controls, training, etc. Participate in Department and Laboratory teams and committees as needed.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.Required Qualifications:
- Thorough knowledge of engineering techniques; architectural principles and practices; project and contract administration; local laws and codes governing construction; use of construction materials in buildings; utilities; grounds; alterations and repairs required.Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management, Engineering Technology or equivalent and 10 years of progressive experience in construction and/or project management with a minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience preferably in an institutional setting. Work experience may be substituted for education requirement.
- Knowledge of project estimating, blueprint reading, project management, and quality assurance processes.
- Demonstrated experience in managing multiple concurrent renovation projects.
- Familiarity with OSHA, EPA, NFPA, building and life safety codes.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with management, customers, vendors and staff.
- Experience with estimating, budgeting, annual operating plans, participation in strategic planning, establishing staffing plans and capital planning/management.
- A strong orientation toward customer service in a participative management environment.
- Strong human relations and effective communication skills.
- Proficient in PC-based applications including Windows, spreadsheets, and word processing.
- Valid driver's license required and applicants will be subject to a driver's record evaluation.
- Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of Computerized Maintenance Management System (MAXIMO or equivalent.
- Experience with research institution or other large facilities operations.
- Professional Engineer certification.
- Supervision of large number of staff; 30 or more.
- Knowledge of budget accounting theory and cost accounting.
- Understanding the procurement of facilities-related materials and services in a government contractor environment.
Special Working Conditions:
Working hours may be 7:00AM to 3:30PM; adjusted or additional hours may be required during peak work load time and occasional weekend support for customer driven outages.
Operation of APL vehicles.
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top