Entry Level Systems Engineer - El Segundo, CA (Part-time)
Job Summary: Engineer to work closely with Government sponsors to develop system CONOPS, define architectures for sponsor solutions, work with stake holders to define system requirements and assist sponsors to ensure user needs are met.
- Define/develop CONOPS, architectures, requirements documents, prototype, analyze, and test satellite ground and space systems and payloads.
- Apply systems engineering processes to define and translate concepts, identify architecture technical requirements. Participate in system design, development, prototyping, demonstration and testing efforts. Work as part of a JHU/APL team to validate and verify design specifications, document requirements, review and critique system verification plan / procedures, and analyze system performance vs. requirements and user needs.
- Interact closely with multiple stakeholders, system and software engineers to arrive at a consensus on the design, development and test phases of the program. Present analysis, propose technical solutions, model and measure performance, and validate results.
- Participate as a member of the team to evaluate contractor’s proposals for system development then provide contractor oversight to ensure the developed system meets user needs while containing program risks. Additionally, brief approach, implementation and progress to APL management and sponsors.
In all cases, perform required tasks in a manner consistent with APL quality processes.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- BS in Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Aerospace Engineering or related discipline
- 1 – 2 years of experience.
- Familiar with some hardware or software elements which are part of systems designs.
- Must have ability to learn new skills, evaluate systems trades, and learn systems engineering tools.
- Must possess strong analytical and problem solving skills coupled with a fundamental understanding of systems engineering. Be able to grasp and apply systems, hardware and software engineering methodologies, principles, and concepts to solve systems related challenges.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a dynamic environment that includes working with changing needs and requirements.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills, be able to work independently, work as a team player, work closely with sponsors and mentor.
- Demonstrated outstanding written and oral communication skills and good organizational skills.
- Desire to obtain an advanced degree in an engineering discipline.
- Hands on experience in development or test of software or hardware is a plus.
- Familiarity with digital signal processing, or systems architecting, or software design. Foundational experience in: MATLAB, VHDL, C , Java, Unix
Special Working Conditions: Position will be located in Los Angeles, CA, on-site at sponsor facility, requires occasional travel. This position is a “Part-Time” position limited to 20 hours per week.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship. Applicant must be eligible to obtain a TS/SCI security clearance.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top