Engineering Software Applications Manager
Supervisor and Operations Manager for six (6) or more Mechanical and Electrical Engineering Application Support engineers in the Applications Services Group (IAS) of the Information Technology (IT) department. Responsible for all aspects of career development and performance management of staff assigned to section. Provide strategic and tactical leadership and hands-on support for the portfolio of engineering applications, including mechanical and electrical design and fabrication.
Supervise engineers responsible for providing software application support to APL's engineering community. Establish strong relationships with staff, conduct coaching, promote career growth, manage performance, and participate in recruiting and other line supervision activities as a member of the departments extended management team.
Provide subject matter expertise and hands-on support for one or more of the engineering applications.
- Operations Manager:
- Understand the needs of the APL's engineering community by building strategic relationships. Collaborate with key customers, vendors and the IT team to define a vision, strategy, and roadmap that promote the best use of the software tools.
- Manage operational support for engineering applications. This includes setting priorities for enhancements/fixes, responding to support requests from users, working with other groups within the IT department to maintain and improve the applications infrastructure, hardware configuration, system monitoring, and user support. Build an in-depth understanding of the vendor products, direction and licensing agreements and manage the vendor relationships.
- Oversee the implementation of the roadmap and manage projects and operational initiatives as needed.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or equivalent years of professional work experience.
- At least 3 years of recent supervisory experience, responsible for engineering and/or application support staff
- A minimum of 5 years of direct experience with tools supporting mechanical design.
- At least 3 years of hands-on experience maintaining and supporting engineering software tools as a service manager or equivalent. Familiar with best practices and established process for application support, such as ITIL or CMM
- At least 2 years of experience working directly with IT functions: Servers, Security, Networking, and Software Applications
- Experience managing projects, managing major software tool upgrades, vendor licensing and renewal, and other application maintenance responsibilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively across the organization with management, stakeholders, as well as vendors, consultants, and other partners
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- Strong multi-tasking, analytical, and interpersonal skills
- Master's degree in Mechanical / Electrical, Engineering, Information Management, or related fields
- Hands-on experience with engineering applications such as: CAD (PTC Creo preferred), PLM systems (PTC Windchill preferred), FEA (Ansys preferred), ERP systems, CAM systems
- Experience with Model Based Enterprise & Model Based Design
- Experience with Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality technologies
- Exposure to 3D Printing / Additive Manufacturing techniques and technologies
Special Working Conditions:
Occasional weekend and other after hours work required to handle and/or complete critical project/work-related business needs.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top