Embedded Systems Reverse Engineer
Are you passionate about making impactful technical contributions to critical national security cyber challenges?
Do you love researching the hardest cyber security problems and collaborating with outstanding software reverse engineers and developers to build jaw-dropping proof-of-concept capabilities?
Do you have experience crafting exploits on embedded systems?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our innovative team at APL!
We are seeking a creative engineer to find vulnerabilities in embedded systems before our adversaries do. We have world-class facilities uniquely tailored to analyzing communications systems, transportation systems, and critical infrastructure. We strive to foster an innovative and collaborative team environment where engineers can hack the latest technologies to understand how they work and how to break them.
As a member of our team, you will…
- Exploit embedded systems
- Join forces with APL team members to identify vulnerabilities or security weaknesses stemming from publicly disclosed vulnerabilities or previously unknown vulnerabilities
- Build innovative and mission-aligned proof-of-principle capabilities and/or mitigations that can be deployed within operational constraints
- Explore new techniques for automating embedded system software analysis and reverse engineering
- Circulate knowledge by clearly articulating ideas through papers and presentations to team members, APL management, and government decision makers
We are looking for team members that have attained a degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related technical degree.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have...
- Proficiency with software debuggers and static analysis tools (IDA Pro, Binary Ninja, Ghidra, etc.)
- Expertise with one or more programming languages including C/C and Python
- Familiarity with Unix/Linux operating systems and embedded systems development toolchains
- Experience reading or writing assembly (x86/x64, Arm, PowerPC, MIPS, or others)
- A Bachelor's degree with relevant professional experience
- A current DoD SECRET clearance
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you ...
- Are an expert with advanced vulnerability discovery tools (e.g., symbolic execution)
- Previously held dynamic technical leadership roles
- Possess an active TS/SCI clearance with full scope polygraph
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top