Embedded Systems Engineer
- Laurel, MD
Do you have experience using embedded systems to solve hard problems with real-world applications?
Are you passionate about working with collaborative and dedicated teams to move ideas to prototypes and solving technical challenges with real impact?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL. We are seeking an embedded design engineer to help us demonstrate new and creative signal processing concepts. You will join an engaged team that spans multiple engineering disciplines, from algorithms to custom hardware design. As a member of our team, you will combine embedded software engineering skills with signal processing techniques to bring real solutions from concept to prototype.
As an Embedded systems engineer...
- Your primary responsibility will be developing software and firmware for embedded systems
- You will implement signal processing algorithms for various types of communication and radio navigation signals
- You will design and integrate embedded systems with sensors
- You will perform system-level design of signal collection and tracking systems
- You will test and demonstrate systems in live field tests
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you…
- Have a B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or other relevant technical discipline
- Have 3 years of relevant experience working with embedded systems and embedded programming
- Have general knowledge of and interest in embedded system design with FPGAs
- Have strong communication skills
- Have good organizational skills and an ability to multi-task
- Are willing to lead small project teams of similarly qualified engineers
- Are willing and able to support travel of an average of three weeks per year
- Are able to obtain Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have…
- Have an M.S. in Electrical or Computer engineering
- Have at least 5 years of relevant experience working with embedded systems and embedded programming
- Have experience programming for Software Defined Radios (SDR)
- Have a working knowledge of GPS and GNSS processing systems, Inertial Measurement Units and other navigation technologies
- Have experience with high-speed FPGA design
- Have experience with digital signal processing (DSP) algorithms
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Gianni P.Electrical Engineer
Gianni works on the design, modeling, and simulation of low- to high-fidelity radar projects for the lab. He also conducts tests to evaluate new technologies.
Back to top