Embedded System Design Engineer
- Laurel, MD
Do you love developing algorithms in MATLAB and implementing in HDL to solve hard problems with real-world applications?
Are you willing to work on projects across a diverse problem space from high-reliability to rapid prototyping?
Do you want to work in an atmosphere where risk taking, innovation, and creativity are openly encouraged and sought out?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a senior embedded system design engineer to help us build innovative technology applications for the next generation of electronic warfare (EW) systems. Your work will contribute to ensuring the US and its allies to dominate the RF spectrum. You'll be joining our hardworking team of system engineers, algorithm developers, FPGA and embedded software engineers, and advanced EW technology enthusiasts who enjoy working together to craft creative solutions to complex challenges in addition to bringing real solutions from concept to prototyping.
As an embedded system engineer, we will trust you to …
- Develop software and firmware for real-time embedded systems
- Implement digital signal processing (DSP) algorithms for various types of communication, data link, radar, and jamming signals
- Integrate embedded systems with EW payloads
- Apply machine learning algorithms for EW applications
- Test and demonstrate in field tests
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have …
- Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or other relevant technical discipline
- MATLAB, C/C , Python, VHDL, and Verilog programming skills
- 3 years' experience in relevant experience working with embedded systems and embedded programming
- General knowledge of embedded system design with FPGAs
- Are able to obtain a Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have...
- MS in Electrical or Computer Engineering
- 5 years' experience in relevant experience working with embedded systems and embedded programming
- Experience in programming for Software Defined Radio (SDR)
- Experience with high-speed FPGA design
- Experience with digital signal processing (DSP) algorithms
- Active DoD Secret level clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Classification:Associate Professional Staff II/ Senior Professional Staff I
Primary Location:Laurel, Maryland
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Gianni P.Electrical Engineer
Gianni works on the design, modeling, and simulation of low- to high-fidelity radar projects for the lab. He also conducts tests to evaluate new technologies.
Back to top