Embedded System Design Engineer
- Laurel, MD
Do you love developing algorithms in MATLAB and implementing in HDL to solve hard problems with real-world applications?
Are you willing to work on projects across a diverse problem space from high-reliability to rapid prototyping?
Do you want to work in an atmosphere where risk taking, innovation, and creativity are openly encouraged and sought out?
If so, we’re looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a senior embedded system design engineer to help us build innovative technology applications for the next generation of electronic warfare (EW) systems. Your work will contribute to ensuring the US and its allies to dominate the RF spectrum. You'll be joining our hardworking team of system engineers, algorithm developers, FPGA and embedded software engineers, and advanced EW technology enthusiasts who enjoy working together to craft creative solutions to complex challenges in addition to bringing real solutions from concept to prototyping.
As an embedded system engineer, we will trust you to …
- Develop software and firmware for real-time embedded systems
- Implement digital signal processing (DSP) algorithms for various types of communication, data link, radar, and jamming signals
- Integrate embedded systems with EW payloads
- Apply machine learning algorithms for EW applications
- Test and demonstrate in field tests
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have …
- Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or other relevant technical discipline
- MATLAB, C/C , Python, VHDL, and Verilog programming skills
- 2 years’ experience in relevant experience working with embedded systems and embedded programming
- General knowledge of embedded system design with FPGAs
- Are able to obtain a Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have...
- MS in Electrical or Computer Engineering
- 5 years’ experience in relevant experience working with embedded systems and embedded programming
- Experience in programming for Software Defined Radio (SDR)
- Experience with high-speed FPGA design
- Experience with digital signal processing (DSP) algorithms
- Active DoD Secret level clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top