Embedded Signal Processing Engineer
Summary: The APL Space Exploration Sector (SES) is developing highly integrated FPGA-based space systems across a number of unmanned planetary, heliophysics and national security missions.. Avionics designs include embedded processors to support spacecraft and subsystem control, and digital signal processing (DSP) cores to support applications in navigation, time-transfer, and spectrum estimation. The APL/SES is seeking an Embedded Signal Processing Engineer to lead the design and implementation of advanced FPGA-based DSP cores and embedded processors. The candidate will lead component level design, participate in FPGA architecture trades, support space mission proposals and studies, and author technology proposals and peer-reviewed publications. The candidate will be a member of a dynamic integrated product team and support all phases of product development, from early concept through detailed design to integration and test and flight support.
- Design and implement FPGA-based signal processing components. Examples include feedback controllers, navigation signal tracking and acquisition circuits, image processing and vision-aided navigation, and cryptography.
- Advance FPGA IP portfolio of avionics and DSP components. Design modular components for re-use, re-purposing, and modification.
- Draft detailed requirement of signal processing cores. Support flow-down from mission and subsystem requirements.
- Support architecture trades of multi-core FPGAs, including designs that integrate multiple spacecraft subsystems into a single FPGA. Architecting to support low-power and radiation-tolerant systems.
- Design and execute test procedures to qualify signal processing components. Support component operations in flight.
- Participate in internal professional service (e.g. committees) and external professional service (e.g. technical conferences).
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related discipline.
- At least 3 years' experience in the design and implementation of signal processing methods in FPGAs using VHDL or Verilog.
- Expertise with practical signal and image processing methods for communications and navigation applications, such as spread-spectrum acquisition and tracking, or vision-aided navigation methods.
- Experience integrating DSP cores with processors into system-on-a-chip FPGA designs.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or related discipline
- At least 3 years' experience developing signal processing methods for aerospace applications
- Demonstrated successful team leadership skills
- Experience with feedback control systems including motor and power conversion controllers.
- Knowledge of serial I/O protocols for off chip communication (e.g. SpaceWire, JTAG, PCIe, etc.)
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top