Electronic Attack and Signal Processing Engineer
- Laurel, MD
Do you love to develop, build, and test complex systems?
Are you passionate about signal processing, math and physics?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking an engineer to help us analyze, model and simulate radio frequency (RF) signals and the system and environmental effects that impact them. As a member of our team, you'll contribute to the design, integration, and testing of advanced RF systems in support of the development of advanced electronic warfare systems. You will be joining a dedicated team of engineers and scientists who work with Government and Industry. We are passionate about providing advanced RF systems to protect our service members in challenging and contested environments.
As a M&S and signal processing engineer...
- Your primary responsibility will be to provide expertise in RF systems engineering and signal processing for next-generation electronic warfare subsystems and components for Air Force and Navy offensive and defensive electronic attack systems. Key subsystems include transmit and receive antennas, high power RF amplifiers, electronic support receivers, and waveform generators.
- You will apply your knowledge of RF communications and/or radar systems to generate realistic models and simulations of threat systems and apply these models to quantify the effectiveness of electronic attack concepts and designs against such threats in operational environments.
- You will work with Government and Industry partners in the development of next-generation electronic jamming systems. You will support trade studies that analyze and compare airborne electronic attack system concepts and technology alternatives in terms of effectiveness, cost, and risk.
- You will perform modeling, simulation, and data analysis in support of both pre-test activities and post-test analysis of electronic attack systems against RF and infrared (IR) threats in operational environments.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, or other related discipline.
- Have 5 years of experience in RF systems prototyping, RF signal processing, RF modeling and simulation, or analysis and development of RF subsystems, or an M.S. degree in these fields with 3 years of experience.
- Are good working in a team with numerous engineers and various levels of experience and technical skills.
- Are skilled in one or more scientific or mathematical programming languages, including Matlab, Python, and C/C .
- Are willing and able to travel occasionally in the local area.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Top Secret clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, or other related discipline.
- Have extensive experience in modeling and simulation of complex passive and active RF systems.
- Are comfortable using RF test equipment, including spectrum analyzers and signal generators.
- Have an active TS clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top