Electromagnetic Sensing Engineer
Do you have a knack for electromagnetic physics?
Do you love developing and implementing advanced data processingalgorithms?
Are you a creative and enthusiastic person with an appetite for solvinghard problems?
If so, we'd be excited to meet you.
We are seeking an experienced engineer to help us develop sensingtechnologies that detect the presence of physical threats to civilians andmilitary personnel. Our team seeks tocreate, mature, and improve sensing systems through concept development, hardwareand software design, system integration, and lab/field testing. Sensing modes of interest include but aren'tlimited to microwave, millimeter wave, electromagnetic induction, and magneto acoustics.
As an electromagnetic sensing engineer...
- You will manage and contribute to the development of sensor system concepts and their detailed hardware design, analysis, and integration.
- You will lead and assist with efforts to apply and evaluate sensor systems to detect material threats in challenging environments.
- You will aid in proposals to sponsor innovative and impactful sensing technologies.
- You will join a team of engineers dedicated to the protection of our citizens and soldiers by advancing sensor technologies.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess an MS in electrical engineering, applied physics,or closely related field
- Possess a strong knowledge of electromagnetics andradio frequency (RF) wave propagation, scattering, and measurement
- Demonstrate proficiency in signal and image processingtechniques
- Demonstrate proficiency in numerical methods, algorithmimplementation, and high performance computing
- Possess experience performing analysis and prototyping inMatlab and C
- Possess experience with frameworks/libraries such as CUDAand OpenCL
- Demonstrate strong organizational and communicationskills
- Are able to obtain a Secret level securityclearance. If selected, you will besubject to a government security investigation and must meet the requirementsfor access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S.citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you possess experience in one or more of the following...
- Machine learning
- Compressive sensing/sparse sampling
- Computational imaging
- Coherent imaging
- Computer vision
- Super-resolution techniques
- Synthetic aperture imaging
- Software-defined radio
- Field programmable gate arrays (FPGAs)
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Gianni P.Electrical Engineer
Gianni works on the design, modeling, and simulation of low- to high-fidelity radar projects for the lab. He also conducts tests to evaluate new technologies.
Back to top