Director, Classified IT Services (Group Supervisor)
Introduction: The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Director of Classified Services.
Job Summary: Provide leadership, vision, and strategic guidance to all functional areas of the Classified Services Group within the Information Technology Services Department. Manage and direct the activities of the staff within the group.
- Lead and mentor a highly-technical group in the delivery of IT services and security compliance on collateral and DOD classified networks. Services include the design, implementation and support of clients, servers, InfoSec, email, storage, network, and user support for multiple networks supporting several hundred systems and several thousand users. Services are delivered using Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) and project management best practices. Responsible for service ownership of network operations center, desk-side support, and InfoSec operations (among other services). Service ownership duties include: service definition, ensuring high quality service delivery and operational performance, ensuring/ improving (internal) customer satisfaction, marketing/ promoting services, providing related training.
- Oversee ISSO activities for all related equipment and software on these classified networks. Responsible for implementing security compliance according to DoD regulations, plan submissions, network reaccreditations, and preparing and passing audits both internal and government. Work with business units to ensure compliance of all program-related business unit equipment on these classified networks.
- Work closely with the ITSD Strategy Team (direct reports to the CIO and peer supervisors) to develop and execute department-level strategy and objectives; ensure success of critical department projects and initiatives; ensure a positive work environment and sustain a culture of excellence. Work on enterprise initiatives, as required, especially in support of innovation and collaboration at the Applied Physics Laboratory.
- Recruit, develop, and oversee a diverse and highly skilled workforce with expertise in the core technical areas of the Group. Define expectations, coach performance, administer salary actions, and provide professional development. Identify and develop key talent for future leadership roles.
- Track the Group's budget to ensure spending is within targets. Ensure effective execution of tasks within the Group while managing workload and coverage. Define, negotiate, and track Group level overhead and capital funding allocations and office space. Work closely with the Program Management staff to forecast and track resource needs and ensure the cost effectiveness of the Group's work.
- Develop and maintain a vision and strategy for the Group, consistent with the Department and Laboratory strategies and objectives. Develop and maintain strong, effective working relationships across the Department and Laboratory. Maintain an environment of continuous improvement within the group.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Systems or related fields, or equivalent years of professional IT work experience.
- Fifteen (15) years of IT Operations and Service Delivery experience or related field.
- At least 10 years in management/supervisory roles of classified networks and systems.
- Strong customer interaction skills.
- Strong demonstrated skills in: leadership, strategy, organization, and planning. Ability to establish relationships and effectively interact with all levels of staff and management.
- Experience with hiring, training, performance management, and coaching staff.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Proven track record of successfully leading and motivating teams in solving complex problems.
- Current CISSP or equivalent DoD 8570 IAM Level III Certification required within 6 months of hire.
- Master's degree in Information Systems, or related field.
- Prior experience as a line manager at the Director level.
- Experience with Network Management, System Administration, Help Desk, Information Security, and related technical support tools.
- Experience as an ISSO.
- Experience as a Program Manager; experience with matrix management. Experience running projects involving at least 10 people.
- Experience with ITIL (pref. certification), Service Management, and Operations Management.
- Experience managing a multi-million dollar budget.
Special Working Conditions:
Occasional weekend and other after hours work required to handle and/or complete critical project/work-related business needs.
Security: Applicant requires a minimum Top Secret clearance. Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Gianni works on the design, modeling, and simulation of low- to high-fidelity radar projects for the lab. He also conducts tests to evaluate new technologies.
Back to top