- Laurel, MD
Are you passionate about Decision Science?
Do you want to resolve ambiguity, spark creativity, and manage complexity in high impact DoD programs?
Are you searching for a gratifying work environment where you can grow, learn new skills, and apply the state of the art to cutting edge programs?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a decision scientist to transform a series of unstructured yet interrelated opportunities into a recommended set of design decisions that best balance the full hierarchy of cost, schedule, and performance objectives in the presence of uncertainty and in the face of emerging and cutting edge technologies.
As a systems engineering decision scientist, you will...
- Build and maintain a decision support tool tailored for systems of interest
- Use the decision support tool to help transform a series of unstructured yet interrelated decision opportunities associated with a system development effort into a set of well-reasoned trade-space visualizations
- Present trade-space visualizations to senior leaders to help them quickly build intuition regarding design decisions and their impact across cost, schedule, and performance objectives in the presence of uncertainty
- Regularly interact with military mission analysts, technical subject matter experts, performance analysts, cost analysts, and senior leaders to ensure the decision support tool is properly focused on mission Design, develop, and deploy statistical methods to elicit preference models from mission level scenarios
- Structure and coordinate the execution of a confederation of technical models to assess alternatives across a broad set of measures
- Thoughtfully aggregate and synthesize the data from the disparate technical models to uncover patterns, trends, groups, or outliers as related to the full set of objectives and help sponsors realize the full potential of data driven decision making
- Utilize decision science tools to assist decision makers to understand the value and trade-offs of emerging and future cutting edge technologies
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
•Possess a BS degree in computer science, statistics, applied math, engineering, physics, or a related discipline AND a MS Degree in Engineering Management, Systems Engineering, Decision Science, Data Science, or related discipline
•Have 10 years of experience in the defense industry
•Have an in-depth understanding of decision making best practices for complex, engineered systems in the defense domain
•Have experience creating informative data visualizations
•Are willing and able to travel to meetings and sponsor sites
•Ability to obtain a Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
•Possess a PhD in Engineering Management, Systems Engineering, Decision Science, or Data Science
•Have 15 years of experience in the defense industry, interacting with senior leaders, mission analysts, cost analysts, and technologists
•Have a team-player mindset with strong interpersonal and influencing skills
•Possess strong written and oral communication skills with a track record of high quality publications and public speaking engagements - effective in a large audience or small group setting
•Have excellent problem solving skills even when problems are messy and unstructured
•Have the proven capability to resolve ambiguity, spark creativity, and manage complexity
•Have experience creating graphical user interfaces and dashboards
•Have experience managing large data sets
•Have experience in drawing impactful conclusions about the cost, schedule, and performance of systems from large data sets
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top