Data Visualization Scientist
- Laurel, MD
Are you passionate about using data visualizations for understanding and solving complex and interesting problems?
Have you worked with cutting-edge visualization frameworks to make data science/analytics findings relevant for technical and non-technical users?
Do you value working in a creative and collaborative environment?
If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team!
The Large-Scale Analytics Group (QAS) develops end-to-end systems that incorporate descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics on different platforms. We utilize visual analytics to find information hidden deep within large and complex data sets. In QAS, we use visualizations to:
Represent data and help our U.S. government partners easily understand their data.
Uncover trends, changes, patterns, and anomalies in voluminous data sets.
Embed in reports and presentations that are used to clearly communicate our data stories and analytic results.
We are seeking data scientists who can apply data visualization standards, research new data visualization approaches, and employ various data visualization technologies and techniques. Your contributions to our team of data scientists, engineers, mathematicians, and computer scientists will help transform data into the knowledge that will enable decision-makers to make informed choices in defense of the nation. You will join a hardworking team in an inclusive environment that values intellectual curiosity, innovation and creativity.
As a Data Visualization Scientist you will...
- Help develop creative and innovative interfaces for complex analytical data produced by machine learning and artificial intelligence systems. In addition, you will create sophisticated and understandable systems interactions to enable informed decision-making and assessments.
- Gather and evaluate user requirements, in collaboration with engineers, software developers, project managers, and sponsors.
- Direct, collect, understand, and process various types of data for developing analytics visualizations for research and analysis.
- Illustrate visualization ideas using storyboards, process flows, wireframes, and prototypes.
- Understand and implement data analytic approaches and solutions.
- Build creative visualizations and user interfaces that provide improved insight into analytic solutions.
- Clearly communicate data visualizations to a variety of audiences.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you:
- Possess a B.S. in Computer Science, Information Science, Mathematics, Physics, Operations Research, or a related discipline with at least a year of experience.
- Have a good technical and analytical skillset.
- Have used data visualization tools and/or libraries such as Tableau, d3.js, plotly.js, Angular.js, PowerBi, or other tools.
- Possess solid software development and programming skills (e.g. Python, Java, C , R, etc.)
- Have experience in planning, designing, and building visualizations.
- Are willing to work multi-functionally to tackle problems.
- Are self-motivated with strong intellectual curiosity, especially around defining impact.
- Maintain excellent social skills, outstanding written and oral communications skills, and good organizational skills.
- Are able to obtain a Secret clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you:
- Possess a MS or PhD in a related technical field.
- Understand user centered design in data visualization.
- Have experience with user interface (UI) development.
- Possess research expertise and scholarly contributions in human-computer interaction or data science.
- Have worked with Jupyter Notebooks, Git, Jira, Docker, and/or Kubernettes.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top