Data Visualization Analyst
Introduction: The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Data Visualization Analyst.
Job Summary: Perform data analysis and apply data visualization techniques to present business information and highlight different perspectives on key business decision areas.
- Leverage analytics and visualization tools to present information in a way that drives fact based decision making. Represent large, complex sets of data through visual representation.
- Perform data analysis of business, IT and operational data. Identify trends, issues, and opportunities to improve customer satisfaction and IT operational efficiency. Make recommendations based on findings.
- Generate and maintain analytical reports and visualizations in support of IT Operations and applications.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Data Analytics, Computer Science or related technical field.
- Experience with reporting, data management, or data analytics and visualization using market leading commercial and open source tools, including standard and ad-hoc reporting.
- Experience performing data analysis, making conclusions and presenting recommendations using visualizations.
- Ability to develop strong working relationships within teams and across the organization.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including experience presenting to multiple audiences (e.g., technical and non-technical, executive)
- Familiarity with relational database technologies and query (e.g., SQL) including ability to write/execute SQL queries to extract, review and understand data leveraged by business partners; experience with large data sets
- Knowledge of visualization/dashboard design techniques for data analysis and presentation.
- Creative thinker; strong analytical, multitasking, and interpersonal skills
- Data driven problem solver.
- Master's degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Data Analytics, Computer Science, or related field.
- UI programming and software application development experience
- Knowledge of data science best practices, stemming from proven experience.
- Previous project or team leadership experience.
- Advanced knowledge of tableau, R, etc… connecting to multiple data sources
Special Working Conditions: Occasional weekend and other after hours work required to handle and/or complete critical project/work-related business needs.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top