Would you like to be part of an organization that values innovation and risk-taking?
Do you enjoy the challenge of interpreting and organizing data into a structured analytic framework?
Do you want to use your technical expertise to solve some of our nation's greatest challenges?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join the Systems Performance Analysis Group, KBS, a talented team of data scientists, engineers, and analysts.
The Machine Learning Section of KBS is looking for a data scientist to join us in applying cutting-edge data science and machine learning solutions to complex problems. We are looking for someone who combines enthusiasm for quantitative problem solving with a rigorous approach to data analysis.
As a Data Scientist in the Machine Learning Section you will ....
- Apply knowledge in machine learning, statistics, software development, and data science to solve challenges on datasets of all sizes and types
- Utilize statistical analysis, unsupervised machine learning, supervised machine learning, and deep learning as needed
- Build models and simulations to describe data, predict events, and prescribe a course of action
- Look for innovative ways to derive novel insights from sponsor data
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams from across the Laboratory to design and execute technical studies across a variety of domains
- Explore current academic research to maintain technical edge
- Effectively communicate results to both JHU/APL and sponsor leadership
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- BS degree in data science, statistics, mathematics, computer science, or a related technical discipline
- Experience with machine learning and statistical analysis of data
- Experience with R, Python, SAS, Matlab, or other programming environment
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and ultimately obtain a Final Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Master's degree or higher in machine learning, data science, statistics, mathematics, computer science, or a related technical discipline
- Experience with C#, Java, .NET, etc.
- Experience with deep learning, reinforcement learning, natural language processing
- Possess an active Secret (or higher) clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.